Realisations

emily's pov

Andrew and I had just arrived at the party, and already I was starting to wander whether I'd made the right choice by asking him to come with me.

We'd been together for a while now, and I really like him, but I just don't think he's the one for me. We'd been arguing a lot lately, and I felt like I was constantly walking on eggshells around him.

We were stood at a table with Matt and Kristy, when I saw someone else walking into the garden.

As soon as I realised who it was, a small smile crept across my face.

"Emily? You okay?" Andrew asked, glancing over at me.

I nodded at him, before turning towards Hotch. He hadn't seen me yet, so I decided to go over to him.

"Hey Hotch," I said, coming up behind him.

"Emily! It's been too long," he laughed, pulling me into a hug, which I gladly returned, smiling as I wrapped my arms around him.

"It has, I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," he said, as we both stepped back.

"So how have you been?" I asked.

"I've been good thanks, a lot more time on my hands though," he replied, and we both laughed. "What about you?"

I was about to answer him, when I saw Andrew making his way over to us.

"Why don't we go and get some drinks from inside?" I suggested, linking my arm through Hotch's, and leading him inside.

As soon as we were in Rossi's kitchen, he turned to look at me, a slight smirk on his face.

"I'm guessing that's the boyfriend that Dave mentioned," he commented, and I rolled my eyes.

"Of course he told you," I joked.

"Are you happy with him?" Hotch asked, a slightly more serious tone to his voice.

"He's a great guy," I said, purposely avoiding the question.

With anyone else I know they'd of just taken that answer and changed the subject, but I could tell by the look on his face that Hotch knew that there was more going on.

"Emily?" He asked, looking concerned.

"Damn profilers," I laughed, before sighing.

"I don't know. I do like him, I just don't think I love him, you know? And we've been arguing so much lately, that I'm scared of saying the wrong thing and starting another argument. I don't know."

I paused for a second, and suddenly regretted saying any of that.

"I'm sorry, ignore me. You came to have fun at a party, not listen to me ranting about my relationship problems," I laughed nervously.

"No, it's fine, don't apologise," he said, putting a hand on my arm.

"Ok, so what do you think I should do?" I asked.

"Whatever makes you happy. If you're not happy with him, then he's probably not the one for you," Hotch suggested, and I nodded.

"Are you two coming to dance or what?" Rossi shouted through the kitchen door, causing both of us to laugh.

We made our way back outside, and Hotch turned to look at me.

"You wanna dance?" He asked.

"I'd love to," I replied, taking his hand.

As we danced, I saw Andrew watching us, but I didn't care any more.

I thought about what Hotch had said earlier, and I realised something. I wasn't happy with Andrew, but I was happy right now, with Hotch.