| Chapter One |

The smell of burning wetlands wafted in from the streets below, so overwhelming it slipped in through the very seams of the foundation. Hot stone and sea brine, the occasional hint of cooked meat. Not to mention the profuse stench of char that soon followed.

These were the scents that plagued Kealie's existence, consuming her bedroom suite and seeping into the very nice fabrics of her bedding and closet.

Another curse from Naida, she was sure.

Allowing her to grow up in the lavish, luxurious quarters of their estate because it smelled of the very thing Kealie hated.

Smoked, boiled death.

She couldn't escape it.

Not through spells or enchantments, not even when the Laundress came.

Her mother had an addition built when The Boilings became a common occurrence. A faction of the house where her sister and parents would be allowed to escape, to find reprieve.

Naida had conveniently forgotten about Kealie.

Again.

Allowing her to absorb and bathe in the scent of her cooking heritage.

Kealie cleared her throat and lifted jaded eyes to the clock. Only half past noon this time. The smell would cloak the city by nightfall, only to be washed away by rain in future storms. The seaside empire might always smell of fish, but the boiling meat stench was starting to attract attention from the north.

She'd heard about it in the council meetings.

Commoners and Royalty alike, some from other nations, inquired about Luverie's practices. Just as it had begun chasing off the fish and luring in a new kind of predator. Something no one knew what to call, only it's silhouette in the water.

It served her family right, Kealie mused.

Burning her people alive if they wouldn't kneel.

She could still taste them in her mouth when she reached for a sip of water, something to wash away the ashy memories.

There was nothing Kealie could do to escape today.

She'd tried reading and watching telementaries. Even going so far as to take a nap that left her staring at closed eyelids. Nothing was restful in the midst of all the chaos.

Screaming erupted outside her window, hoarse, terrifying cries reaching into her chest.

Kealie lifted herself from the couch, swallowing her thundering heart back down, deep into place beneath her ribs.

She walked over to the window to close it, to escape, only to find a small snake-like beast with scales and wings. The Wyverns of the south coast, long since hidden by the Casters magic, were nearly extinct and incredibly rare.