Chapter Eight

Special shout out to SaphirasEye, SilverOakleaf, and xyu1311, for the last three votes to get me to a thousand!

~Avis

***

      "This is amazing, Jen." Ena said as she tucked into the mince pies. Jenny blushed slightly, smiling with pride.

"Thanks. It's nice to hear someone besides Alyss and George say it."

"Trust me. One day, the whole kingdom will love them." Ena promised. Jenny blushed once more.

"So how are things with horse school, Ena?" George asked.

"Great. Made a few friends. Horace stops by every once in a while because I am the care taker of his horse." She replied.

"Oh, I'm sure he enjoys that. Having an old ward mate be lower then him." Alyss muttered. Ena smiled.

"He doesn't seem to use it to his advantage, not from what I've seen yet."

"Let's hope to keep it that way." George said hopefully. "Wouldn't want him trying to prove he's better than Will on Harvest day."

"I'm sure he won't. Horace isn't like that." Jenny said innocently. Her three ward mates gave her a look and she blushed once again. "Well... maybe a little."

"You always chose to see the best in Horace, Jen. Continue to do that. He'll need it." George said.

***

After a pleasant lunch with her old friends, Ena headed back to the horse school. She was already finished with her chores, so she wanted to shower before the boys finished their chores. It was a cold shower that chilled her to the bone, but made her feel refreshed from the hard gruelling work. She made her way back to her room and sat on her bed, carefully combing out her long brunette hair. Her hair was the one thing she truly cared about when it came to appearance. Horace used to tease her about it, but she didn't care. Everyone had something they loved, and hers happened to be her hair.

"Ena?" A knock sounded at the door following the voice. She rushed to the door and opened it, revealing a very distressed looking Horace. Malvin stood behind him, giving Ena a look of confusion.

"He came to me asking for you." Malvin explained.

"Thank you Malvin. I'd like to speak to Horace alone, please." She said. Malvin nodded his understanding and Ena closed the door behind Horace. He immediately began to pace her little room.

"Battle school is killing me, En!" His hissed in a low tone, as if he expected someone other than her to hear.

"I thought you enjoyed it?" She questioned.

"Oh yes, I sure do enjoy getting beat up and having to run for miles, not to mention the cold showers." He snapped sarcastically. She rolled her eyes.

"Horace, that's what is to be expected of battle school. Were you expecting to just be handed a shield and be knighted by King Duncan himself?" She snorted in response. Horace let out a sigh and dropped down onto her bed.

"I thought it'd be a bit easier, yes." He grudgingly admitted. Ena sat down beside him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You've been wanting this since we were little, Horace. Don't give up now." She said softly. Horace stared at his hands and nodded.

"I suppose you're right." He mumbled. She smirked, not knowing if she heard him correctly or not.

"Good. Now what's this I hear of you getting beat up?" She asked. His face blanched and his eyes darted away from hers.

"I-I...don't know what you're talking about." He lied, and failed. She smacked him upside the head.

"Horace, don't give me that nonsense, you admitted it during your rampage." She retorted.

"It's nothing. It's part of the toughening process. Second years over rule the first years." He said.

"This is outside of class?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. He nodded sheepishly. "Why haven't you told Sir Rodney?"

"I said it was nothing, En!" He snapped again. She folded her arms and glared at him.

"What ever you say, Horace. If that is all, I must go get ready for dinner." She said coldly. She stood, noticing the hurt look on Horaces face.

"Ena, I'm sorry." He muttered.

"I do care for you, Horace. Don't ever think that I don't." She said quietly. Before she knew what was happening, she was wrapped in a tight embrace. She didn't quite know what to do, so she slowly looped her arms around his waist and gave him a friendly yet awkward pat on the back.

"I know you care, En. I will always care for you too. You're like my little sister." He said. She could see the tears glistening in his eyes, and she was truly touched.

"Thank you, Horace. This is a side of you I've never seen before, and I like it." He gave he a cheeky smile and bid her farewell, before heading off back to battle school.

***

Had a massive writers block. Sorry for the wait. Wasn't quite sure what to put in this chapter. Hope you all liked it! Please comment and vote!

~Avis