Chapter Thirty Two

It was pouring rain as they approached the small village. The skies were grey and dreary, making Ena even more depressed than she was already. Evanlyn sat in front of her, her head lolling to one side as she slept. She was probably unconscious, but Ena hadn't checked. She held onto her waist tightly, so the wounded maid wouldn't fall off. They had been riding for almost three days now, stopping only for brief rests and to change Evanlyn's bandages. They had to keep going, find a village before Evanlyn was gone to far. The poor maid had her face torn apart from the Wargals, leaving her left eye blinded and the left side of her face immovable. As Ena held the water skin to her mouth, half of it would simply drizzle out the other side of her mouth. There was nothing more Ena could do other than keep her as comfortable as possible. Quite the challenge considering they spent most of their days on Dancer.

"Evanlyn? Wake up. We're here." Ena said, shaking the girl slightly. Evanlyn let out a moan and stiffened. Ena carefully dismounted and reached up to pull Evanlyn off of Dancer. She had lost a lot of blood, so she couldn't stand on her own in her weak state. Ena began to worry as she cradled her friend, noticing how light she had become. "We'll get help, Evanlyn." Ena reassured more herself. Evanlyn simply closed her eyes and allowed Ena to carry her. Dropping Dancer's reins, Ena started towards the closest house. It was a mountainous village, far from any roadside towns. Ena figured the Wargals wouldn't attempt a place where so few resided. She was correct too. The place was deserted, but the people resided within their homes. It was a means of escape from the constant downpour of rain in those parts. Luckily Bob had taught Dancer quite a bit, like not wandering off. This gave Ena the opportunity to get Evanlyn quickly inside.

Ena shifted Evanlyn's weight carefully so she could knock on the door. A fragile looking woman opened the door, her eyes widening in horror at the sight of Evanlyn.

"My dear girls? What happened?" She cried. She ushered Ena inside. Warmth embraced both girls after the long ride. Warmth like that hadn't been felt since they left the castle in Celtica.

"We were attacked by Wargals. Can you please help us, ma'am?" Ena begged. She nodded, gesturing for Ena to lay Evanlyn down on the cot set up in the corner.

"Mama? Who was it?" A young woman, carrying a child entered the room. She gasped, and set the child down.

"Fetch some water, Jeanette. Hurry." The elderly woman responded. Doing as her mother ordered, Jeanette fetched a pail of water heating by the stove, setting it by the elderly woman's feet. She began to work on Evanlyn, prying back the blood and rain sodden bandages made by Ena's tattered dress. Jeanette took Ena's arm, leading her towards the fire.

"Stay here and get warm. I'll bring you a dress of mine to replace yours." She spoke softly, to not disturb her mother's concentration. Ena sank to the wooden floor beams, exhaustion finally consuming her as she felt the warm flames flicker near by. She was almost asleep when she remember her faithful battle horse, still saddled and standing in the rain. She began to stand, making her way to the door when Jeanette caught her wrist, tugging her back towards the fire. She was too tired to resist, so she let the woman pull her.

"I need to tend to my horse. He's more tired than I." Ena insisted.

"Get dressed and warmed up. I will tend to him." Jeanette insisted. With that new offer, Ena gladly accepted the woolen dress handed to her by the woman, and slipped behind the changing screen to change. Reassurance washed over her as she heard Jeanette open and close the door, heading towards Dancer.

The new dress was a warm green wool, thick to keep away the cold seasons. Though it was not yet winter, Ena was grateful for the warmth that she had been deprived of for days. She finished changing and pulled her hair out of it's soaked braid, running through the strands with her fingers. She felt the stress of the wet plait leave her head as she combed through the mess.

Once she was finished, she made her way back towards the hearth, glancing over in the corner where the woman was tending to Evanlyn. The shadows covered then from view, so Ena waited impatiently for news on her friend. As she waited, the small child shuffled over to her, his head bowed and refusing to meet her eyes.

"Hello." Ena said, trying to sound cheerful.

"Who are you?" The child asked.

"My name is Ena. That is Evanlyn over there." She gestured to the wounded maid.

"I'm Travis." He mumbled. Ena held out her hand in greetings, which he hesitantly took.

"Pleasure to meet you." He giggled a bit and ran off in a different direction, disappearing behind the threshold of what looked like a bedroom. Moments later, Jeanette entered the house, shuddering from the rain.

"He's a beautiful horse." She noted. Ena nodded.

"We've been through a lot together." She said quietly. Jeanette gave her a small smile and moved into the kitchen, where she began to make them each a mug of coffee. She had no honey, but Ena decided she could live without it just once. She wanted the wanted brew to warm her more than anything, so she gladly accepted it.

"What's her name?" Jeanette asked quietly.

"Evanlyn. We were traveling with out mistress when we were attacked by Wargals. We got out mistress away, and I went back for Evanlyn. Her horse had stumbled, but I used Dancer to my advantage seeing as Wargals fear horses. I was able to get her out with her life." Ena retold the story. Tears welled up in her eyes when she spoke. Jeanette set her small hand atop Ena's knee.

"Mama will help her." Jeanette insisted. Ena nodded silently.

"Let's hope so."

***

"My dear? She is asking for you." Mama told Ena. It had been several hours since they had arrived. As they waited for Evanlyn to wake, Jeanette and Ena spoke, telling each other about one another. Jeanette found it rather amusing how Ena was banished over a disagreement of a horse. She had fallen asleep an hour before, and woke to Mama shaking her shoulder. Ena stood, groggy from sleep, and made her way over to Evanlyn's cot. Mama had managed to gather clean bandages and Evanlyn's wounds were wrapped tightly, making her look less menacing without the blood everywhere. Evanlyn gave her a small half smile with the remaining nerves in her face that were still intact.

"She seems nice." Evanlyn whispered, not feeling her voice ready to use.

"She is. She took good care of you." Ena said, gripping Evanlyn's hand.

"I'm alright now. Get some rest Ena. I know you have barely slept in three days." Evanlyn murmured. Ena rolled her eyes.

"I will." Evanlyn than waved her off. Ena stood and made her way over to Jeanette, who handed her a blanket and pillow.

"You may have my cot. I know you must be tired." Ena shook her head.

"Never. I want to sleep in the stables, if you don't mind. I feel Dancer will need company." As much as Jeanette's bed sounded tempting, Ena would never deprive one of their own bed. Jeanette glared at her, but Ena had already taken the blanket and pillow and was half way out the door. She ran to the stables, keeping the rain off of her as best she could before she slammed the old wooden doors shut. It was dark and musty within the stable walls. Every stall was empty, save one. Dancer stood tall and alert as Ena entered. He gave a warm nicker, to reassure her his presence before turning back to his food. The hay loft was right about Dancer's stall, so she climbed up the ladder and laid down in the hay, making herself a little nest for comfort. The wooden railing allowed her to look down on Dancer without the fear of falling. As she settled into her nest, cozy in her blanket, she watched her magnificent horse munch his hay contentedly.

"Good job Dancer. You did well." She mumbled before drifting off into a much needed slumber.

***

I know it's been forever! Sorry! Tournament at Gorlan was released today and I'm on chapter eleven. Love it so much!!!! Been teasing SilverOakleaf about it all day since she doesn't have it yet. Any who. Love you all! Please comment and vote!

~Avis