𝟬𝟰 Fake It Till You Make It

SILVER LINING !chapter four —— fake it till you make it"how exactly do i be alluring?"

SILVER LINING !
chapter four —— fake it till you make it
"how exactly do i be alluring?"

This morning, Sam decided she was going to be an optimist. She wasn't at all going to be affected by the events that took place last night. There was going to be no emotional distress to unpack, no inspection of anyone's behavior for supernatural tendencies, and no looking over her shoulder for a creature lurking in the shadows. She'd forget all about being an inch away from death. She'd forget that Scott McCall was a...something.

Everything would be fine!

But within minutes of leaving the house, she decided optimism wasn't for her. She's running on two hours of sleep and a can of soda. Lots of emotional distress.

"I'm not watching another movie on a Friday night. Mason, there's gotta be something going on," Garrett pleads as he steps off the school bus, arm linked with Violet's. Mason, Linh, and Sam are in tow, the former two with matching expressions of incredulity.

Mason huffs out a short laugh. "You remember we're freshmen, right? We just got off a school bus. We're not exactly going to be hitting the clubs until 4 AM."

"Besides, have you met other teenage boys?" Linh chimes in, "Guys have the worst hygiene, so parties are, like, the number one breeding ground for biohazards." Her face screws up at the mere thought.

She looks expectantly at Sam, who, under normal circumstances, would share the same expression and leave her own comment of distaste. Instead, Sam's gaze is distant. It isn't necessarily uncommon for the girl, but the dark circles under her eyes aren't very comforting and it makes Linh's brows pinch.

"Okay. So movie at your place. 9:00."

After an affirmative nod from Mason, Violet and Garrett walk off to their first class of the day, leaving the trio.

A couple seconds of silence later, Mason moves ahead of them, looking at something in the distance. "Hey, I'll uh...catch you guys later," he distractedly bids them goodbye and points in the general direction of someone jogging towards him. The girls nod and continue walking, but it isn't long before Linh stops and moves in front of Sam, hands on each of her shoulders.

"How are you holding up?"

Sam shrinks in on herself.

She was restless after getting home from the hospital. Whenever she closed her eyes, images of the stranger's menacing teeth bled into the darkness behind her eyelids. Her heart sank with every groan of the floorboards as if he'd followed her to finish the job. Even the sound of his snarl infected her head.