Chapter 22

Therese felt strange Friday evening squished in the backseat of her aunt's old red Toyota Corolla between two gods, Than and Meg, on their way to the Wildhorse Saloon to meet the Holt kids, Ray, and Todd. Richard kept stealing glances behind him at the eccentric beauty beside her, dressed as she was in a red leather short suit, black go-go boots, and her blood-red rubies on her earlobes and around her neck. Although Therese had been proud of how she looked in her olive cotton camisole and her Levi boot-cut jeans, she now felt totally eclipsed.

Tizzie had promised to meet them later after her tormenting obligation. Therese imagined her hovered over her victim with a swarm of snakes dropping from her head. Would the blood still be dripping from her eyes when she arrived at the saloon? Therese shuddered.

"Are you okay?" Than whispered close to her ear. His warm breath sent chills across her scalp and down the nape of her neck. Because her red curls were up tonight in a high ponytail, she could feel Than's warm breath caressing her neck as he spoke. "Are you cold?"

"I'm fine," she said. "Just a little nervous."

"Do I make you nervous?" he whispered.

She made a little nod, but then breathed, "In a good way."

He gave her a broad smile, showing his perfect white teeth, and took her hand in his. Therese quivered with desire.

"Can you drive a little faster?" Meg asked coldly.

Carol looked at her in the rearview mirror. "I'm going the speed limit."

Meg rolled her eyes. "Great."

Therese wondered how Meg could get away with punishing people for forgetting their manners and be so rude herself. "I'm sorry we don't have more room," Therese offered.

"It's quite alright." Meg's voice was not kind.

"That's not what's getting on her nerves," Than whispered. "She's jealous of how smitten I am with you."

"Than," Meg threatened. "There's no need to speak rudely of others."

Richard gave another uncomfortable glance back at Therese's companions.

When they arrived at the Wildhorse Saloon close to eight o'clock, Todd's giant yellow truck stood out as a beacon in the parking lot, but neither Pete's truck nor Mrs. Holt's Suburban was among the three dozen other vehicles. Therese texted Todd while she led the group inside the dance hall, a wave of cigarette smoke accosting her like a stifling blanket. She tried to hold back the cough gagging her throat. Ten or so couples danced a fast polka around the wooden dance floor in front of the empty stage where Pete's band had performed two nights ago. More people gathered around the two bars—one on either side of the hall—and two or three older men, sitting on stools alone, looked drunk. Todd and Ray turned from where they stood in line at one of the bars and waved, their red minor bracelets dancing around their wrists. Therese waved back and led her group across the dance hall toward them.

After their initial hellos and some talk about Todd's truck and when Therese would get her ride—since she had missed the maiden voyage—they stood around awkwardly sipping their straws and watching the dancers on the floor across the room. One of the older men who had been sitting alone and apparently drunk approached Meg and asked for a dance. Therese was surprised when Meg consented, but Meg's mocking expression made her wonder about the Fury's motive.

The new song was a waltz, and Therese could feel Than turning toward her to ask, but before he had his words out, Todd grabbed her hand and said, "Let's go!"

Therese gave Than a look of apology as she allowed Todd to pull her out onto the floor. He glided her easily around and around with his thin but strong frame, and soon Therese was having fun and laughing out loud, especially at Todd who was now telling her all about his family's trip to California and the strange people they met there. He gave a glance at Meg as they passed her and her drunken partner and said, "Though we have a few strange folks right here in Durango."