Chapter 25

Than stepped forward. "I didn't know you were here, Cousin Hermes." Hermes stood and took Than's hand. "What has caused you to grace our presence?"

Therese noticed that Hermes was older looking and not as tall as Than, though his hair was the same dark brown, but curly rather than wavy, in tight knots around his head. His beard looked much the same as his hair. His pale red robes hung to his knees, and a wide gold belt secured the robes at his waist. The belt matched the golden shoes and the helmet lying beside him on the arm of the chair. He wouldn't blend with humans as well as the others without changing his wardrobe. "I bring grave news from Mount Olympus."

"How grave?" Than asked.

Meg frowned. "You may as well sit down, Than." She pointed to a chair, her diamond bracelets jangling. Her usual black go-go boots had been replaced by brown sandals, and her white silk pantsuit gave her a less intimidating look.

"First return the girl," Hermes suggested.

"This concerns her, too," Tizzie, in green silk and her emerald set, offered. "She should stay."

Therese could not imagine how any news from Mount Olympus, grave or otherwise, would have anything to do with her.

"Very well," Hermes replied. "Please come have a seat. Tonight will be long and grave for us all."

Before sitting down, Therese asked, "Shall I make us a pot of coffee?" She offered because she needed a cup herself, and she suspected the Melner cabin was well stocked.

Than squeezed her hand. "That sounds nice. Thank you."

So he'd heard of coffee, but not tea, Therese noted. Or maybe he just didn't want to bother with asking what coffee was. Hermes seemed anxious to talk.

Than and Hermes sat down while Therese crossed over to the kitchen, which was open to the living room, so she could still hear Hermes speaking as she rummaged through cabinets looking for coffee and filters.

"Zeus sent me to warn you that Ares is supporting this man, McAdams."

Therese froze like a statue.

Hermes continued, "He hopes to protect the potency of the biological weapon McAdams has already sold to numerous foreign coups. Ares's ultimate goal is to build a strong power in the Middle East to enable a third world war. He wants to see the U.S. fall."

Therese shuddered as she scooped the coffee grains into the filter. So they had been after her mother.

Than groaned. "No wonder."

"That's not all, brother," Meg said sardonically. "Listen."

Hermes said, "In an effort to keep you from winning over the girl, who might someday be a threat to him if made a goddess, Ares went to Cupid and convinced him to shoot his arrow into a mortal man who had a chance of wooing the girl away from you. The man has been struck, and his love is growing more and more devout every day."

Than shifted on the couch. "What's the mortal's name?"

Hermes replied, "Peter Holt."

Therese dropped the spoon on the kitchen floor, splattering coffee grains everywhere. She looked for a broom as Hermes continued.

"Aphrodite is sick over this, and so is Cupid now that he knows about Ares's intentions, but there's nothing they can do to prevent the mortal from loving the girl. However, both have sworn allegiance to you against Ares, and as we speak, Aphrodite is securing the support of Apollo. You know how Ares feels about Aphrodite. Angry isn't strong enough to describe how he's feeling now."