(38) Reinforcements From the Future

Wes walked out the coffee shop, holding two large coffees. He smiled as he walked over to the car. Eric opened the door to the passenger seat for him. Wes hopped in and gave Eric a smile. "Coffee?" Wes held up the cup.

"Thanks." Eric said.

"The perfect thing to wake us all up." Wes sighed as he took sip. "Perfect."

"Don't get too happy. We still have a lot of work to do back at the office." Eric said.

"What if I, I don't know, just pay you to do my half of the work." Wes suggested.

"No way is that happening." Eric scoffed.

Wes pouted and looked out the window. "So mean." He mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Nothing!"

~

Just as the two walked into their office, another Silver Guardian walked in. "Did you need something?" Wes asked.

"We have an emergency." The man said.

"What kind?" Eric asked as he sat down at his desk.

"We've detected mutant DNA." The man answered.

Both Eric and Wes turned to each other confused. Eric immediately stood up and walked over to him. "What do you mean? How could there still be mutant DNA?" He asked.

"Let's hurry up and find them." Wes said.

"The mutants aren't here in Silver Hills." The man said.

"Then where are they at?" Wes asked.

"A city called Turtle Cove."

"Turtle Cove? I've never heard of that place."

"I'll let you two discuss it more alone." The man turned around and walked out their office.

Wes sat on his desk and scratched his head in confusion. "I thought you and your friends already took all the mutants back to the year 3000. What's going on?" Eric asked angrily.

"I don't know. I'm just as confused as you. I'm sure we brought them all back. There's no way we missed one." Wes said. "I'm calling, Trip. Maybe he can explain."

"Don't bother. It's best if we just leave now. Who knows what those mutant are doing to the people of that city. We have to leave now." Eric said.

"But we need all the information we need."

"What we need is to go help them. For all we know, Trip might know just as much as us. So, are we going or not?" Eric argued.

Wes looked out the window and sighed. "If we're gonna do this, we're going to need some help." Wes said.

"Yeah, from who?" Eric asked. Wes turned around and threw an innocent smile. Eric glared at Wes. "Don't tell me..."

Wes nodded his head. "I mean, she's just what we need."

"No. We're not bringing her into this. End of story."

"If Sam finds out that you decided to leave her out of this fight, she's going to ignore you for another week. Do you really want that again?" Wes asked.

Eric rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Fine."

Wes smiled at Eric and patted his back. "Alright! Now let's get to work."

~

Sam opened up the curtains to bring more light into the room. Sam turned around to face all the kids. Everyone sat at different tables either coloring or painting. All of them had a cute smile on their adorable faces.

While Sam opened up the last curtain, all the kids let out gasps and excited screams. "It's the Silver Guardians!" They shouted.

Sam turned around confused. All the students stood up and ran over towards the door. At the entrance stood Eric and Wes. They smiled down at the kids and gave them all high-fives.

Sam rolled her eyes and smiled as she crossed her arms over her chest. The kids began jumping around in excitement. "Hi kids. I was wondering if we could talk to your teacher real quick?" Wes asked.

"Ms.Myers, you know the Silver Guardians?" One of her students asked.

Before she could answer, Eric cut in. "Yes, she's my sister." Eric bragged for her. Sam rolled her eyes again as the kids gasped.

"Everyone, back to your seats. I'll be back in a few minutes." Sam said.

Everyone frowned as they walked back to their chairs. The three walked out the door and Sam closed it behind her. "We seem popular." Wes smiled. Eric nodded his head. "And you seem happier too."

"I am. I love it here." Sam smiled.

"It must be exhausting taking care of them." Eric mocked.

"It's not as bad as you think. But I can't wait for spring break. I could use some rest." Sam stretched her arms.

Eric and Wes looked at each other awkwardly. Sam noticed their weird glances and frowned. "Is there something you're not telling me?" She asked, raising an eyebrow to them.

"Well, we need some help with something. And we're not sure how long it'll take." Eric explained.

"What's going on?" Sam questioned.

Eric and Wes glanced at each other, then sighed. "Bio Lab detected mutant DNA in another city. We want you to come with us to check it out." Wes said.

"What are you talking about? We caught them all. This has to be a mistake."

"Unfortunately it's not." Eric said.

"Have you guys contacted Trip? I'm sure he might know." Sam asked.

"Not yet. We want to see it ourselves first before we ask." Wes answered. "So what do you say? Mind taking a small trip?" He asked.

Sam sighed and rolled her eyes. "Not like I really have a choice, do I?" Wes and Eric shrugged their shoulders. "When do we leave."

"First thing tomorrow morning. So pack your things the second you get home." Eric said.

Sam frowned as she turned around and rested her head against the wall. "There goes my break."