Chapter 16: A Demon's Perspective

Ash is fucking two steps ahead of me. No Vane is two steps ahead of me. I swear if he hurts her, I will fucking kill him. Even if one piece of her hair is missing, I'm burning the place down. Simple. And if Seraphina wants to help me do it then I promise she will get that opportunity. We can take it down together.

I hate that Seraphina is in the middle of this shit. Vane is such an arrogant asshole and there is something he didn't tell me about this so-called prophecy. He was speaking straight bullshit to me about a special angel he needed for a greater purpose.

 What does Phina have that he wants besides her powers though? There has to be something he wants her to do. I just don't know what. He told me she was the last one he needed and that's why I agreed.

I wanted my freedom but after seeing Seraphina walking towards me for the first time, it felt like I knew her. I then realized she was the one I dreamt about. My paintings in real life. It was impossible but magnetic and then all of a sudden all I wanted was her. She was so innocent and beautiful standing in front of me looking at me with those chocolate brown eyes. I wanted to please her in any way possible.

I stand at the spot that they disappeared mad at myself for being too late. Ash must have taken her to the underground. To him. I bend down to touch the now charred grass and a black book is next to it. It's the one Phina was talking about.

 This is the missing book of celeste that Vane was after when he started the celestial war. Elijah must have had it when he fell from the heavens and landed at Ella Aster's home. Seraphina's grandmother. It was hidden with Phina the entire time.

I trace over the lines and it's beautifully crafted. Vane can't get his hands on this. I heard legends about the book of celeste and how it carries the stories from the beginning of the war to the present. A war that's still going on to this day.

I open it and it's written in celestial symbol language but I can understand what I need to. It's not like they teach goodness language in demon school but that didn't stop me from wanting to learn it. I have to find a way to save Seraphina. I won't be able to just charge down there by force by myself. Vane's little bitch followers will sniff me out.

"Hey Pierce. Is that you?" A voice calls behind me. I turn hoping it isn't Stella calling me. She is nice and all but I don't like her like that. She doesn't give me the same feeling Seraphina does. Plus she is way too touchy but I knew it would cause Phina to want to talk to me more. Which is fucked up when I think about but I want what I want and I never wanted anyone as bad as I want Seraphina.

It isn't Stella though but Phina's best friend Ivy walking up to me from her car. I find it strange that she shows up just minutes after Seraphina is taken. When we were chased by Ash last weekend we came here and she was already here too. That's more than a coincidence.

"Hey uh Ivy, right?" I ask. She shakes her head yes.

"You can just call me Vee for short." She says. I look down and see a noticeably fat tattoo on her wrist. It's a hand holding wings. She's an angel keeper and I bet she doesn't even know that. It's rare to have one, especially these days. They are usually given to angels who are of royalty descent as extra protection. By royal descent I mean the Collective. 

"Have you seen Phina around? She was supposed to come back over after she met up with you. She didn't answer her phone and I got worried especially with all this weird stuff...I mean piles of homework, you know?" Vee says nervously. She does know something I can tell. If she really is an angel keeper, she must have some kind of power. If only I can touch her and read her mind without coming across as feeling up on her.

"Actually, I wanted to ask you something." I shake the book in front of her. "Have you ever seen this book before? It belongs to Seraphina." I tell her. I hold the book out for her to take.