Fair Game

Today was a special day at the elementary school, for there was a fair. It was not just any fair. It was THE best annual fair in the neighborhood. There was cotton candy and fun houses. Ring tosses and sand art. Arts and crafts and water balloon fights. It was a fair that was created exclusively for the students of the school. And the new principal, who was an alumnus of that school, had the perfect idea of how to make it even better.

For years, students wanted to have a petting zoo at the fair, but the administrators were against it because they were concerned about the safety of the students. This year, the principal was able to convince them to finally incorporate a petting zoo. It was the highlight of the fair. Students were so excited to pet all of the different animals, from the cows and horses to the goats and sheep.

The very last event of the fair was a show that featured different reptiles.

When all of the students gathered at the field, the zookeeper brought out the animals. The zookeeper first showed an Eastern Box turtle and the children were very surprised by how slowly it moved. Next, the zookeeper showed a leopard gecko, who was really gentle and friendly. Then, the zookeeper showed Gary the gopher snake. He was a wonderful snake and not at all venomous.

However, when the children saw him wrapped around the zookeeper, they screamed to the top of their lungs. Penelope, who was wearing a plaid coat and earrings that day, was in the front row and shrieked. Harry, who was wearing a cotton sweater and hood, was in complete shock as he grabbed his twin brother Noah, who wore a similar outfit and was indifferent about the whole situation. Behind them, Eliza, who wore glasses, was screaming in fear. Right next to her was Charlotte, who had blonde hair and was too small to see anything. She was utterly confused as to why the other students were screaming. William, who was wearing a hat and a small trench coat, was rather annoyed by the loud screaming and covered his ears. He desperately wanted to go home soon. The only student who was happy was Paul, who lounged to the front of the crowd in the hopes of touching the snake. The children bolted through the front gates of the school to escape the horror that was Gary the gopher snake. Paul was the only student left, who was finally able to pet Gary. Oh well, thought the principal. At least I tried.