Ignorance Is Bliss

My eyes shot open when I could no longer breathe, water blocked my airways and I flailed around trying to understand how I could possibly be drowning. The water was still warm, which meant I hadn't been asleep for long. I tried to sit up, which was when I noticed there was a hand on my head and a hand on my shoulder. pushing me down into the water.

I started struggling more, I made my nails bite into whoever's skin and I let out a scream that only resulted in bubbles rising to the surface. It was stupid of me to let go of my much needed air but I was scared, and I didn't really care. I felt the hand on my shoulder release and then something hit my hurt knee, hard. I broke through the surface of the bathwater with a cry of pain. The hands released me and I watched as my own sister stepped away from me.

Footsteps pounded on the stairs, probably from hearing me scream. I was breathing hard and trying to regulate my breathing so I would calm down. Mabel sneered darkly, "Don't say anything Kodi," she spat.

I was confused, why would she try to drown me? What did I do to her? I got her mom killed. That's what.

There was a bit of murmuring and then the door opened, Chester looked in, his eyes working their way through the room, trying to see what had happened at just a glance, he paused when he saw me in the tub and pushed someone away who was trying to look in, before slipping inside and shutting the door behind me.

"Someone want to tell me what's going on?" he crossed his arms and leaned against the door.

I sunk a little lower in my water and made sure the bubbles were still covered. My knee was once again bleeding and the water had made the bandage sag, I sniffed, and unwrapped the bandage from it, sucking in a breath at the sight. It was red and angry looking, not to mention it had a little bit of puss on it now.

It was infected, and I'm assuming Mabel had hit it, so now it was also irritated.

I looked away, not willing to lie for my sister but I wasn't willing to say something that might get her kicked out either. She may not like it but she was my sister, and my last bit of family. I would ensure that she was safe.

"She was having a nightmare," Mabel spoke up finally, "I came in because I heard the splashing and that's when she clawed me and hit her knee on the tub."

I glanced over and was amazed at how Mabel's face could transform from absolute hatred, into one of worry and compassion- two things of which I had never seen Mabel express. Chester glanced at Mabel's arm that she held out, it has five small scratches that were bleeding very faintly, if bleeding at all anymore. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, though maybe I should have.

Maybe I should just tell him. Perfect opportunity, I could just tell him what Mabel had done and be done with it. I don't know what they would do, but I had just gotten out of an abusive home. I don't want this new one to be an abusive one as well, though I would never walk on broken glass for Mabel, I would never plank for hours at a time, and I would never do wall sits for however long, holding whatever random heavy object she found.

It made me shudder to think of what ways she could hurt me here. What would she do? It was already clear she didn't mind drowning me while I tried to take a relaxing bath. I looked at Chester and opened my mouth to disagree with Mabel. to tell him what a monster she's becoming.. or had become.. or maybe she always was one?