Rasputin - Part 3 - Avengers x Reader

"Well?" Tony asked, as he and the others crowded into the room that Steve and Bucky had helped bring the capsule into. All attention turning to Bruce as he pushed some buttons on the side of the pod.

"Well........her vitals still look good. Breathing, heartbeat, are as you would expect. Though we are having some problems getting her out of this thing. Its not like the one that Bucky was in. In fact............."

"In fact, what?" Clint interrupted angrily. Desperate to finally get some good news about the friend that he still felt that he and Sam had let down. Had abandoned. Nat placing a hand on the archer's arm. The widow well aware of the guilt he still felt about (Y/n)'s disappearance.

"In fact............it would appear that the pod might even be boobytrapped. There is a counter that has been making its way down from the moment we left the Hydra base. I don't know if we started it by moving the pod. I don't know if there is an anti-tampering devise on this thing. All I know is that it's getting closer and closer to zero, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to stop it, or get (Y/n) out." Bruce explained, as he turned his attention back to the counter.

"Just break the glass. Pull her out. We have to do something!" Sam exclaimed, looking to the others for agreement.

"Didn't you hear a word that Bruce just said, dummy. The thing could have anti-tampering measures attached to it. You start trying to break the glass, and the whole thing could explode or some shit, and take (Y/n) and the rest of us with it. Anyway, we wouldn't be in this situation if you had done your job properly that day. If you had actually been watching (Y/n)'s back rather than the ass of that woman that was making eyes at you......................"

"Me? You were the one that said 'I got this'. Doing the whole 'I'm Clint Barton. I'm the best archer in the world. I never miss.' routine." Sam slammed back. Mocking Clint as the two stood toe to toe. The pair continuing to blame on another for (Y/n)'s current situation, as Steve and Nat pushed their way in between the warring duo.

"Look. We haven't got time for this. We have to help Bruce figure something out. You can go back to arguing once we get (Y/n) out of that thing." Nat told the men. Sam and Clint continuing to glare at one another. Slowly and reluctantly nodding in agreement as they saw that the Widow had a point. That there would be ample time for more finger pointing later.

"Nat's right. But I think that we should get this thing somewhere safe. Bruce and I will work on getting (Y/n) out of there until the last minute........."

"And then what............?" Bucky interjected. Tony turning to look at the soldier.

"Then..........well then.............I don't know." Tony sighed. The billionaire hoping that between he and Bruce they might just be able to figure this thing out.

                                                            >>------------------------------<<

"How long left?" Steve asked from the other side of the blast proof wall. All eyes glued to the screens, as Bruce and Tony continued to work.

"A minute and a half." Tony replied. Breathing a sigh of relief as he cut another wire, and nothing blew up.

"You both better move. You've done your best.........." Steve continued. The captain believing that with every passing second the two men were closer to death.

"Just thirty more seconds." Bruce called out in reply, as he pushed a few more buttons on the side of the machine.

"Ah, screw this............." Tony hiss angrily, as he got to his feet. Now calling on one of his gloves and trying the break the tube. The glass around (Y/n) seeming to absorb every one of his punches. That fact only making the billionaire angrier.

"Twenty seconds. We have to move." Bruce said, as he grabbed hold of the Tony's wrist. Tony doing his best to get a few more hits in before Bruce was able to drag him away. The two joining the others and hoping beyond hope that they weren't going to lose (Y/n) again, so soon after finding her.

"Five.....Four......Three......Two.......One......." Steve called out. The others praying as the numbers descended. Their eyes growing wide, as when the captain pronounced 'One', there came an eerie silence, before a cloud of smoke came billowing from the capsule. The glass sarcophagus slowly opening. The team racing through the clouds to find (Y/n)'s body still resting securely on the gurney beneath her. Outwardly appearing no worse for the smoke that had enveloped her.

"Get her out of this." Bruce shouted, as the once slow and steady beep from the machine holding (Y/n), now let out a frightening single sound. A single sound that none of them wanted to hear. The sound of death.

Urgently, Steve and Bucky tore at the metal bands that held (Y/n)'s form down. Steve taking her into his arms and racing towards the med bay. Bruce beginning CPR as she was laid on the table. The others trying not to get in the way, as the doctor told Tony what he needed. The billionaire pushing the machines towards Bruce, until all he could do was stand and watch like the others.

                                                                  >>--------------------------------<<

"I've come to take over." Tony told a yawning Bruce, as he made his way back into the medical room. It had been touch and go for a few moments. Bruce having to fight off the Hulk as he grew angrier and angrier at the fact that he felt useless for not having been able to get (Y/n) out of the tube before this had happened. Yet when he was about to give up hope, he had felt it. A faint, slow heartbeat. A heartbeat that had been enough to give him the chance to hook her up to the machines. To try and ensure that that faint beat, had the chance to get louder and strong. The sounds of rhythmic thump now filling the room.

"Go try and get some sleep. She'll need you when she wakes up. Sam and Clint have been fighting over who gets the next watch. So, Nat told them that neither of them will get to see (Y/n) until she was awake, if they can't stop acting like kids. Frosty is taking over from me. So, if anything happens, we'll come and get you." Tony assured. Bruce nodding, and giving the billionaire a sad, sleepy smile as he got to his feet and made for the door. The doctor barely a few feet down the corridor before a terrifying scream filled the space. Bruce racing back to the room to find a sobbing, shaking (Y/n) wrapped in Tony's arms.