Chapter 3

At the first sign of daylight, Dionne got up and readied herself for her work-out. She went straight to the middle hall and was greeted by the buzz of the staff cleaning the manor or maybe helping Von in the kitchen.

By the name itself, the middle hall was between the two wings, thus separating the left and right wings by a good distance. The first floor of the middle hall was spacious and bare because it was said to be for social gatherings.

Dionne reached the middle hall and hurried upstairs. She passed by some staff on her way to the second floor which was divided into three large rooms: the kitchen, the dining room, and the living room. The living room had the typical furniture but it was rarely used; only when Theodore and Jugger wanted to entertain themselves with human drama by gossiping with the staff.

She continued to ascend through another flight of stairs towards the third floor where the private training room was located. Beside it was the library, which was Karyl's favorite spot in the manor. Karyl liked to research and even write her own journals in the field of medicine.

Upon entering the training room, she was surprised to see maids cleaning the exercise equipment. Usually, the maids steer clear of her at that hour because they knew her schedule and they were somewhat intimidated by her.

"Are you not done cleaning yet?" she asked.

"I'm sorry, we meant to clean at the usual time but we woke up late. It won't happen again," the maid explained, nervousness evident on her and her companion's face.

She did it again. She made someone nervous so early in the morning. She wondered if she asked the wrong question. Should she have said that she would just come back later? Did she sound too demanding?

"I meant, if you are not done yet, I can go back later," Dionne offered.

"Oh no. we're done cleaning the weight pulleys. Is it okay if you start there first so that we can finish with the others?" one of them asked.

"Of course."

She started her routine. Aside from spending time exercising in the training room, she also enjoyed running in the woods around the manor. Speed was one of the assets of the vampires so she wanted to improve on that aspect. She would not end up as fast as them, but she could try to be as fast as the human limits could go.

She was silent in the corner so could not help but hear the two maids whispering about the birthday party that they attended last night.

"... seen her clothes last night?"

"Yes! I would totally spend half of my salary to get new clothes."

"Me, too. I actually asked for a pair of boots from the shop downtown. I think they will be finished in time for the party next month."

"Oh, wonderful! I couldn't indulge last month since I had to send money to my family."

"It's fine. At least, you work hard."

"So, I can also party hard."

"Agree."

"Too bad we can't have the cocktails and spirits the parties offer."

"We won't have money if we're not healthy."

The maids and the rest of the staff of the household could do whatever they wanted when their shifts at the manor ended, she thought. Von made sure that all his employees had their quarters in the fourth and fifth floors of the middle hall. He always gave them the salary and benefits that the human government law requires.

Because all the staff members that he oversees were human beings.

Even though vampires were a secret to humankind, some humans knew of their existence. These were families and extended families of humans who served the vampires for generations. Should the humans from these families wish to find a different job, they could do so. But most of the time, they stayed.

They were just bound by a contract of secrecy and loyalty which had severe consequences when broken.

The staff were assigned to work and to maintain the manor. Also, they and some of their family members must preserve their health for the feeding. The most important condition was that they were to leave everything that they witnessed and heard inside the manor; no information must go out.

In exchange? They live comfortably as long as they live.

Even Dionne would choose to work for the household if she were living a different life. But since she was living this life, she must continue and see where her efforts would lead her.

After finishing her routine, she went back to her room to take a bath. She dressed in her usual attire — a simple blouse, slacks, and flat doll shoes. Her long black hair also braided at the crown of her head.

Then she went straight to the kitchen to have breakfast.

Everyone in the family had their own schedules so they did not have meals together, except for the dinners. Dionne felt uncomfortable eating alone on a table with twenty-nine vacant chairs so she decided to eat in one corner of the kitchen.

"Good morning," she greeted Von.

"Good morning, too. You just missed Karyl and Ghandi," Von replied.

"It is alright. They do not need to wait for me."

He chuckled and said, "I didn't mean that. I just wanted to tell you that the two had early breakfast."

"Oh."

"Yeah, oh. I think you're famished after exercising so I prepared your favorite, fried rice with smoked fish."

"Does it come with sliced tomatoes?"

"Sprinkled with salt," he said with a wink.

Dionne smiled. Von knew all the favorites of everyone in the family. Theodore and Jugger would always request a complicated menu just to antagonize Von. But Von actually enjoyed making complex cuisines because they challenged his skills. She doubted that her simple favorite dish would excite Von.

She sat on her usual corner in the kitchen and watched Von and the kitchen staff check the ingredients that were delivered straight from the Southern Continent.

"Don't you want to try and explore the city after your work with Annette?" Von inquired.

"Perhaps." It was always her answer But she would rather not venture in the city because of security reasons. Besides, the manor and the acres of lands and woods were enough for her.

"I heard there's a new play in the theater. Or you might also want to shop for clothes?"

She knew that Von was merely enticing her of what the capital city had to offer. She heard that Carmine holds a very promising future for the economy of the entire Western Continent.

"I do not feel like going today," Or tomorrow. And the day after that. Maybe she will change her mind next month. Who knows?

"You and I are so much alike. We're born preferring the solitude of our home."

"I believe so."

"Well, tell me if you want to go so that we can ask for someone to escort you outside."

Normally after breakfast, she would begin the journey up the mountains or maybe have her self-defense training. But right now, she was needed by Annette's side.

She glanced at her pocket watch and saw that it was half past seven. Just in time to start work at The House.