Chapter 14

Her eyes were shut because of the blindfold. Her wrists were tied together and so were her ankles. The only consolation she had was that she was not gagged.

The momentary pause in her fight with Colin, or whatever his real name was, gave the man the opportunity to knock her out and bind her. If she had not been puzzled by what the man said, she knew she had the chance to escape earlier. Not now.

Not now, when she could not see anything and with her movements restricted. To make things worse, she felt that they were in a moving car.

"Uncle, I think she's awake," said a timid male voice beside her.

"Are you awake, child?" came from the voice in front of her, whom she assumed was also the driver.

"Why did you take me?" she asked, her voice steady. She admitted that she was terrified in the eerie castle earlier. She was also nervous during the fight but the adrenaline seemed to settle and she was now her usual self.

"We have no choice. I told you, Dionne. We're here to rescue you," another voice in front said. She recognized this to belong to Colin and he must be sitting on the passenger seat.

"Rescue me from what?"

"Not from what. From who," Colin answered.

"I do not trust you. All of you. I know that one of you acted as the guard and the other was the steward," she said.

"How can you know that?"

"I recognize the voices. So I am right that there were only two other people with us in that castle," she contemplated.

"She has keen senses," said the driver. "We're almost there. We can remove the blindfold now."

"How about my wrists and ankles?"

"Don't push it, child. We know you can fight and Colin's bruised face is proof of that."

The man seated beside her slowly removed her blindfold. She adjusted from the dim light inside the car and confirmed with her eyes that her theory was true. They were indeed the men from the castle.

"You're calm," Colin observed.

"I cannot think well if I am not calm," she explained.

"Thinking of escaping?" he asked.

"Yes. But I will think of that later. I want to know your motives for abducting me first."

"How are you going to do that? Torture us?" he mocked.

"No. I will just ask. And I hope that you will answer," she politely said.

All three of them laughed at what she said as if it was unnatural. She looked out the window but she could not see anything other than walls. They must be in an underground tunnel, she mused.

"You know, you fight like a bad-ass earlier. But your personality is actually the opposite. How those bloodsuckers have not tainted you yet is beyond me," Colin said.

So they knew about her family. Maybe they also had an idea about The House. She was getting curious by the minute.

"Alright, you'll get your answers later when we arrive at our destination. Right now, let me introduce myself. I'm Johnathan Morales. And that's my nephew, Ino Morales," said the driver who gestured towards the man seated beside her.

She looked at Ino as he greeted her with a shy hello and she greeted him back. He was maybe around his early 20s while his Uncle Johnathan and Colin could be in their late 30s.

"What about you?" she asked Colin, meeting his gaze through the rearview mirror.

"Me? I'm Colin."

"You said that it is not your real name."