The Christmas Holidays

Bagsy had packed all the things she'd need to take home for Christmas in her trunk and her satchel, she would carry a cage with her two pet rats and the box with the living stampelia separately. Professor Wattleseed had commented that her and Winifred's living stampelia looked the best in the class, and that it might fully transform if they kept up their good work, unlike quite a few pairs in the class who had already accidentally killed their living stampelias. Wattleseed said they hadn't supervised their sun hours and their plants had died of loneliness. The thought had made Bagsy rather sad.

Mezrielda joined Bagsy at the Hufflepuff table for breakfast. Bagsy had offered to sit at the Slytherin table every now and then, but Mezrielda pointed out that she was a massive wimp and would turn into a mouse under the snake-like glares of the other Slytherins. Bagsy had grumbled her agreement.

When they finished their food, Mezrielda and Bagsy walked down to where students were lined up to take the horse-drawn carriages, and noticed they didn't have to carry their own bags, Professor Hilkins informing them they'd be by the station when they arrived there. Bagsy was grateful – it was snowing heavily, and she didn't feel like carrying her bags herself.

'At the start of term, we had to take our own luggage,' Bagsy murmured to Mezrielda.

'Well, it's obvious, isn't it?' Mezrielda responded. Bagsy gave her a quizzical look and Mezrielda rolled her eyes. 'Belta Zotova – the grounds keeper – she must take the luggage to and from the castle for us. She wasn't here at the start of term, so she couldn't do it.' Bagsy nodded. It made sense and she felt silly for not realising it herself.

When they were at the front of the line and about to get on a carriage someone tapped Bagsy on the shoulder, and she turned around to see Professor Fitzsimmons looking down at her with their dark, amplified eyes. 'I'll see you on the train,' Bagsy said to a perplexed Mezrielda as she was pulled aside. Students paid little attention to them, but even so, Fitzsimmons waved their wand and Bagsy noticed a slight muffling of their words. Clearly, they wanted this conversation to be private.

'Bagsyllia,' Fitzsimmons began calmly, without the frustration Bagsy had grown accustomed to, 'despite your lack of progress,' there it was, 'we will continue our lessons after the Christmas holidays. I expect you to practise as much as you can until then.' Professor Fitzsimmons took a wrapped package out of their brown and white sweeping robes. 'This might help.'

Bagsy took the package, feeling it was a book instantly, and a thrill of excitement coursed through her as she wondered if it was a perfect set on instructions explaining how to cast spells.

'I know I've been short with you this term,' Fitzsimmons said awkwardly and Bagsy looked up at them in confusion. 'I must apologise – I know you are trying your hardest.' Bagsy just blinked, unsure what to say or do. 'I'm still considering different approaches to learning, and whether these private lessons are helpful or a hindrance though, hopefully, they will be more successful. This,' Fitzsimmons tapped the package, 'should help.'

With Fitzsimmons' cryptic message playing in Bagsy's head, she boarded one of the remaining carriages, Mezrielda having already taken one herself. She was sharing with some Gryffindors in the older years, as well as two people she recognised. Jonathan Krinkle, the younger brother of the Hufflepuff Quidditch captain, and Itsuki Elmore, the Hufflepuff boy with a mohawk. The sides of his hairstyle were now starting to grow back, and it looked even worse than before.

'Hello, I'm Jon,' Jon Krinkle said.

Bagsy smiled shyly at him and Itsuki. 'Um, h-hi,' she stammered, hoping they'd leave her alone.

'You were at the Quidditch match,' Jon said. Bagsy nodded. 'How'd you find it?'

'It was okay...'

Jon pushed on. 'Who was your favourite player?'