The Unwelcome Creature

Bagsy managed to make it through Monday once the weekend was done, and was glad she did, because double Herbology the following evening turned out to be the best lesson she'd had all year.

They were half-way through the second half of the lesson and Bagsy and Winifred were carefully adding beetles and midnight-picked carrots to their living stampelia with their bubble masks over their heads, when a bright yellow light shone from within the plant.

'Professor Wattleseed!' Winifred called out in excitement as a hush fell over the other students who tried to shove past each other to get a good view. Jon and Itsuki both shot Bagsy a look of awe, who flushed self-consciously, not feeling too keen on all the attention but excited all the same.

'Everyone be very quiet,' Wattleseed instructed and the crowd hushed. As they watched a thin branch sprouted out of the muddy flesh of the living stampelia and grew upwards and, as it grew, the muddy flesh of the living stampelia shrunk, feeding the small sprouting branch. Soon the branch had grown into a Y shaped tree that had a large, flat base without any roots. It was small – about the length of Bagsy's forearm – and leaves instantly sprouted up and down the plant to gasps from the students. Bagsy had never seen a plant grow so quickly.

Once the plant stilled, Wattleseed picked it up, no sign of the muddy, star shaped thing the plant had once been remained.

'This is a fully matured stampelia,' Wattleseed explained, 'and I must say I'm very, very, impressed you two managed to pull this off.' He held the matured stampelia out to Bagsy and Winifred, something about it beautiful to Bagsy. If she hadn't thought it was a stupid thing to say, she would have said the plant was friend shaped. 'I was expecting one or two of you to produce a half-matured stampelia, but a fully matured one?' Wattleseed let out a low whistle. 'Truly amazing stuff, students.'

'What does it do?' Winifred asked, her eyes hungrily taking the plant in.

'A half-matured stampelia has many medicinal uses. A fully matured stampelia has none,' Wattleseed said and Winifred deflated, but Bagsy's eyes stayed transfixed on the plant. She felt proud – like she was a parent and the plant her child who'd been made head girl. She didn't care much if the stampelia had no uses because it was her friend. 'A matured stampelia is much cooler. It can help you locate lost items.' Wattleseed gave the plant a gentle shake. 'But it only matures when it really likes how it has been cared for, right? So, getting it to this stage. I mean... wow, right? You two should be proud.'

Winifred beamed as if she'd done even a quarter of the work to complete the project. Bagsy, however, was silent. A matured stampelia could locate lost items. Her heart quickened at the thought. Could a matured stampelia locate items she owned and had lost, or any item that she was struggling to find?

'Of course, I promised you both a reward from me.' Wattleseed grinned. 'Each of you will get thirty points for your house.'

Bagsy's mouth hung open. She wasn't sure she had won Hufflepuff a single point yet that year.

Wattleseed continued, 'The matured stampelia will only be linked with one of you, I'm afraid, so whoever it is gets to keep it.' He held the plant closer to them. Winifred, who stood on its right, was faced with leaves that shrivelled up, looking ready to die. Bagsy, who stood on its left, saw leaves reach towards her, turning a gentle green and orange. 'Well, that's pretty clear, isn't it?' Wattleseed laughed, handing Bagsy the matured stampelia, who hugged it to her chest. Winifred didn't look impressed, in fact, she looked so mad Bagsy thought she might burst into flames.

After the lesson Bagsy hurried to the Hufflepuff common room, Winifred on her tail.

'Bagsy! You owe me,' Winifred called after her. 'I gave you that talk-a-lot powder, remember?'