Prologue

To make it out, you gotta make it through. Loco could hear his grandmother's words loud and clear over the sound of the sink running, the blood from his hands mixing with soap and the clear water. It was almost symbolic, the blood representing the negative, the darkness, and the water being the positivity and the light. Yin and Yang, duality.

Scrubbing his nails with the hard bristled brush, he made sure his hands were clean before cleaning up the bathroom. Pouring bleach down the drain, he called an associate on his burner who informed him that police were on the scene heavy.

"You good to go outta town tonight?" TJ asked on the other line.

"Nigga I got class tomorrow." Loco mugged, making his way out the bathroom and into the kitchen.

"Aight fuck it just keep your head on a swivel, let this shit blow over." TJ advised.

"Word, safety."

"Safety."

It felt like open season in Brooklyn lately, police seeking information for murder charges and mothers crying due to all the bloodshed and loss of young lives. This was all years in the making, generations of being subjected to an endless cycle of violence and hatred.

Never did Loco think he would be subjected to the cycle so soon, pledging to a life of crime and violence with only one thing in mind; revenge. Losing friends that turned into family was enough to turn his savage up.

"Don't do it cuz." Smoke gritted right before a hooded Loco swiftly pulled up on his victim, firing off shots with a vengeance, showing no mercy.

His first kill.

"Rest in piss nigga." He said over his victims body as a menacing grin grew on his face.

He didn't dwell on the moment for long before he and Smoke were racing down the block, rushing past the housing projects in East Camden. Screams and cries pierced the air as the neighborhood started to pour out onto the streets to see what all the commotion was about.

"My baby! They killed my baby!" The young mother sobbed, clutching her sixteen year old son in her arms who was bleeding out all on the sidewalk.

The wind was beating down Loco's back as his feet carried him all the way to his car, hopping in after Smoke since they let the car run.

The warm air in the car instantly warmed their cold faces as Loco pushed on the gas, leaving skid marks on the street as he drove away.

Avenue L was deserted as Loco drove down the block that evening towards Breukelen housing projects where he currently resided an hour later. It was him, his younger sisters and his parents living in the two bedroom apartment. They outgrew the apartment years ago, but it was home.

He so desperately wanted to move his family out the hood, but he knew that wasn't a reality for them just yet. His father was a barber and his mother worked as a concierge at a small hotel in Brooklyn. If he wanted to turn those dreams into reality he knew he would have to take matters into his own hands.

At sixteen Lorenzo was truly the product of his environment. He was smart, and always did well in school but his temper always landed him in some bullshit. He was on his third school in less than four years, being known for his notorious reputation after being newly initiated in the Rollin 60s crips three years ago.

School was only hard for him socially, receiving multiple warnings advising him to be seen and not heard if he wanted to graduated on time.

He dug around his pants for his keys and silently prayed no one was up to see him. He hated the look in his mothers eyes when he came home late after running the streets all night. He loved his mother and respected her, but he had to get it by any means.

A joint hung from his lips as he pushed the front door open, revealing his youngest sister Britney sitting on the couch eating a bowl of Pops cereal, watching reruns of Courage the cowardly dog. It was starting to become her nightly routine, up late night as if she was waiting for him to come home.

"Go to sleep Nini, you got school tomorrow." He said, stuffing his hands in his sweats pocket to hide the blood stains on them.

She rolled her eyes "I'm not going. There's a math test tomorrow."

"I don't give a fuck Nini. Go to sleep." He gritted causing her to huff. He had to burn the clothes he was wearing and scrub his hands before his parents started getting up for work. He didn't need his little sister in his business even though she very familiar with the life he lived.

"You get on my fuckin' nerves." She grumbled, grabbing her cereal bowl and heading to the kitchen that was right by the living room where Loco had his pull out bed. The trap house he acquired five months ago was slowly became his home since he felt he was too grown to be sleeping on his parents couch.

He always felt responsible for his little sisters while their parents worked long hours and left little to no room to really take care of home. The only thing they really cared about was if the bills were paid and there was food on the table.

Everything was about survival.

Loco was really the only one out the three of them who experienced a childhood where his parents were around not always working, having more positive memories with them than his little sisters did.

He always felt it was his responsibility to protect his sisters and took that in stride. He wanted his sisters to be able to do more than he ever had the opportunity to do so he was willing to keep them on a straight path to make it out the hood.

Editing/ reuploading as of today so make sure to check back periodically ❤️

If you haven't already, make sure you read "All this love" for some more insight on Loco's little sister, B. You can honestly read it in any order you choose

This story is part of "The realm🌍" which coexist in the same world as the characters in seauxheaux & Chastitycole13 's characters. More or less.