Chapter 7

He pushed into the teahouse too late - Chaoxiang was already lying on the ground, a clean cut through his throat that was entirely different from the previous deaths that the victims had suffered, but still, that was all the confirmation he needed. The killer had to be a member of the Fatui, probably one that had a close connection to the debt collection team. He doubted the killer themselves was on the team, though - that would be way too easy to find, and he wanted to think that his officers were smarter than that. 

He scanned the room for any clue that could help him identify who it had been here, but found nothing. Of course. The Fatui were thorough when they needed to be. No matter. A quick scan of the room told him that the guards remained unconscious from when he'd knocked them out, and the hostess had joined the pile of bodies. So at least the killer had a conscience. With a sigh, he stepped out of the teahouse, a grim look on his face. He motioned for Javert to follow him, and without another glance back, marched back to the bank.

Alarmed, Javert jogged after him. "Lord Tartaglia? Shouldn't we, uh, at least report this?"

It was all he could do not to roll his eyes. "Think, kid. There's a Harbinger at the crime scene. The deaths are associated with Northland Bank. If we were the ones to report it, we'd be blamed for the deaths. Best you can do right now is head back to the bank and deal with your other work."

"Yes, sir!" Javert saluted before practically running in the direction of the bank. Seriously, Tartaglia should do something about the fact that his agents were running away from him. He was no expert, but he didn't think that was a good thing for his work reputation.

Shaking his head, he made his way back to the center of Liyue, where the streets were as busy as always, as if no one was aware that another person had died. What a shame. He couldn't even stop some lousy criminal, and he'd been right there, too. No matter, he'd just have to deal with that another time. Surely there was another debt collection some time soon, one that he could tail anonymously without the rest of the Fatui knowing?

He made a stop outside the funeral parlor first, simply standing in front of the building for a few seconds to stare at it. In a matter of hours, Zhongli would have to deal with another body, and Childe would have to see that saddened look on his face and state his worthless condolences. With pursed lips, he turned sharply from the parlor, heading straight for the bank instead.

He pushed the doors open to see Ekaterina talking to some other agent in a hushed whisper, both of whom went silent as soon as they saw him. He only gave them a firm nod before marching to his office, only turning to Ekaterina for a brief second. "Come to my office when you have the time."

A wave of relief hit him as soon as he entered his office. The mission had been a disaster. No actual money, no criminal caught, and all he had to say for himself was that he'd gotten his hands on a sigil of permission. 

Ah, right! The sigil of permission! Immediately, he pulled it out from his pocket, flattening it against his desk. It didn't seem like all that much - just a plain yellow talisman with Liyuan writing on it. One time, while explaining the Archon War, Zhongli had mentioned the sigils of permission to him. He hadn't gone too in depth with the explanation, just stated briefly how they looked and that they had some magical powers or something. Well, the description certainly seemed to match. Perhaps he could use this somehow? How did these things even work, anyway? Could he use it to make himself stronger? To improve his stamina, maybe? He'd have to ask Zhongli later.

A knock rang on the door, giving Childe just enough time to tuck it away before Ekaterina stepped in. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

"When's the next debt collection?"