Chapter 27

"It's a nice place you got here." Tony says, looking around as we all sit around the table on the porch. The guy who I don't recognise is Scott Lang, and he apparently was on Steve's team when the disagreement between him and Tony happened about the accords. "Quiet. Very you." He finishes and looks at Steve who has been sat calmly waiting to hear what they have to say.

"It seemed right considering I'm technically retired." He makes his status known immediately.

Tony shifts. "Yeah, well I'm gonna need you to come outta that and help us, because we're getting the whole team, and I'm gonna say something I never thought I'd ever say to you...we can't do it without you."

Steve clenches his jaw and I slip my hand into his, giving it a squeeze. "We said back then that there was no hope. We tried to stop him and couldn't."

"And now we have another chance to bring who we lost back."

"What about what we've gained?" He stares at Tony.

Tony sips his coffee. "What happened to the Steve Rogers who refused to give up?"

"He was lost a long time ago. I have different priorities now. I have a daughter."

"Yeah, so do I." Tony says. "She's about your kids age actually, perhaps a little younger? Look, I've done the homework, I know the risks of what we want to do, and I've ensured that we do it without losing what we've gained. Nothing changes. All I'm asking is for you to help us get everyone back, just like we were supposed to five years ago."

Nat chooses this moment to speak up. "Steve...we have a far greater chance than we ever did. Wouldn't you want to have one last shot at it?"

He folds his arms and sits back. "One last shot..." he says to himself bowing his head with a small shake. "And what if we can't do it?"

"Guess we'll never know until we try." Nat shrugs.

I look at Steve as he's having an inner battle with his conscience. "I'm sorry...but I can't take that risk." And stands up, going inside.

My eyes meet the others. "I can't change his mind on this one. I'm sorry guys." I know when to try and talk to him and when to not. This is one of these times.

Nat nods. "Well, we can't say that we didn't try and convince him. You have a beautiful little girl." She smiles. "That the reason why he wanted to keep you away from Wakanda?"

"We'd only really just found out; she is her father's daughter...we couldn't have asked for anything more."

Tony gets up, "Well...he knows where we are if he needs us. Same goes for you too C.J."

"I'll keep that in mind. Thank you Tony." I say and see them off.

Steve is standing by the bedroom window looking at something as I walk in. "They're gone." I say and see he's holding his compass. He's not had reason to use it for years. I slip my hands under the bottom of his t-shirt as my arms slide around his waist. Lips pressing against one of his arms. "They need you with them..." I try my luck.

"Vi...don't." He warns, snapping the compass shut and shoving it back into the drawer. "There's too much at stake."

"Isn't there always with things like this? Things you've been up against in the past?"

"We're talking about time travel...it's something you shouldn't mess with. Tony knows that." He turns to me, and I let go of him. "As much as I want these people back, Sam, Bucky...we fail again? Then I don't know what I'm gonna do."

I look out the window and see dad pulling into the driveway. "What happened to 'whatever it takes'?" I ask and then walk out to leave him to ponder while I go and greet dad.

"Hello sweetheart." He smiles and gives me a kiss as Sarah now comes out and runs to him.

"Grandpa!"

He crouches down and opens his arms wide as she runs into them. "There's my superstar. How many bad guys you fought this week?"

"One, Dr Tedd, but you've gotta help me – he's eviiiil."  She giggles, "and look! Daddy made my shield better!" and shows him the frisbee.

Dad stands up and looks at it. "Well look at this...you're gonna be suited up in no time kiddo."

"Hopefully not too soon." Steve says as he comes out, shaking dad's hand. "Good to see you again Phil."

"You too, how've you been?"

"Better." Steve's face darkens and dad frowns, looking to me.

"Something happen?"

I gesture them to come back into the house. "I think we should discuss it over dinner, but before you arrived we had some visitors..."

"I see." Dad says as he follows, along with Steve and Sarah. "I'm guessing they were not welcome though."

"Not exactly, but we were hospitable enough." Steve replies.

I make dad a drink and begin dinner while he and Steve are in the living room talking and also playing with Sarah. I try and listen to what they're saying and catch Tony being mentioned, so it seems the conversation couldn't wait until dinner.

When we eventually sit down I want to know what was said, but have chosen to leave that until tonight once Steve and I are in bed. Right now dad's asking Sarah how she's doing with school, and what she wants for Christmas this year.

Her reply makes Steve choke on his food and dad snort with laughter.

"A little brother."

I give Steve a hard slap on the back as he stops and clears his throat. "That's erm...well certainly specific..."

"You and Mommy can just get one from the shops?" she says innocently.

Steve clears his throat again. "It's a little more complicated than that Sar..."

"How? It's where you brought me?"

"I'll tell you later." Steve promises and turns the conversation around to what dad's been doing.

I can hear Steve talking to Sarah as he puts her to bed later on and listen quietly through the crack in the door.

"Daddy...who was that man you were arguing with?" She asks.

"That was your uncle Tony..."

"My uncle? I haven't seen him before?"

Steve sighs. "Unfortunately we don't really keep in touch anymore."

"Why?"

"Because we always end up arguing." I can hear the smile in his voice.

Sarah then half yawns. "Did he ask you to help go get some bad guys?" and I know that she was listening secretly. An agent in the making...

"Kinda..." He knows that with what Tony was asking of him, he'll have to.

"Are you gonna?"

There's some uncertainty to his tone. "Do you think I should?"

"Mhmmm, so you can win..."

"You think?"

I hear Sarah answer sleepily and smile to myself on hearing her next words to him.

"You're Captain America. You always win."