6. "Forgiveness"

The guards let me in immediately this time. They were the same ones I had seen only a couple of days ago. Inside, given the fact that it was daytime still, there wasn't a party like usual. Once I walked in, I saw Marissa. She was talking to someone, a vampire, and she looked like a completely different person. She was wearing tight black leather pants with a red crop top that left little to the imagination. Her gorgeous red hair was falling curvy down her back and shoulders, and she was wearing a lot of black eyeshadow and red lipstick. She looked stunning. I almost gasped. She looked like a vampire.

"Stella!" Merissa called my name as soon as she saw me. She started walking towards me and I didn't feel afraid. On the contrary, I wanted to hug her. I had really missed her. She stopped walking when she was two steps away from me.

"What's wrong?" I asked. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. I suddenly remembered how young Merissa was in vampire terms and that she was probably struggling not to eat me. I took a step back. "I'm sorry." I instinctively apologized. Merissa's face changed all of the sudden. Her fangs came out and a few veins became noticeable all around her face. I took another step back.

"It's okay." she said. Her fangs were still out, and she was now looking at me with blood-injected eyes. I didn't know if she was trying to convince me or herself. I hadn't thought of this when I came. Then, when I was getting ready to attack her if she tried anything, Victor came towards us with vampire speed and he stood in between us.

"Merissa..." he said in a warning tone. It was nice of Victor to want to protect me. If he only knew what I could do.

"I'm fine." Merissa said. I looked past Victor's tall body and I saw Merissa slowly going back to normal. Victor then moved over.

"You did it." he congratulated her. "Now, try to keep it up, and not eat her." Merissa rolled her eyes. Victor turned to me with a smile. "Hello to you, Stella." he said, and then he kissed my hand. I smiled back. "So, are you here to fix him?" he asked me. I frowned, confused.

"Who?" I asked.

"Alexander. He's been locked in his office ever since you left the other day. He hasn't even fed." he said. I felt a hint of worry invade me. Alexander was already emotionally vulnerable because of Jacqueline's death, and me getting mad at him had probably hurt him even more. I felt slightly guilty.

"Is he gonna die?" I asked. Alexander was old, so he probably didn't need to feed that often, but he did have to feed eventually, right? I was worried.

"He could probably still go a couple more days without feeding, but it's extremely painful." Victor said. I nodded. "I wouldn't worry too much though. He did the same when Mary Loise died. He likes to make himself feel physical pain when he's in these types of situations, so he doesn't have to deal with the emotional pain. He's done it before, and he survived." he said. I knew that if I talked to him, I could make him feed, but I didn't know if I wanted to do it. I was still hurt about the lie, and I still didn't quite understand my own emotions most of the time.

"Stella, can I talk to you?" Merissa asked. I nodded. Victor looked at Merissa with untrusty eyes. "I won't eat her." Merissa said. Victor looked at me for reassurance.

"I can protect myself. It's fine." I said. Victor nodded and then walked into one of the rooms. We were now alone in that giant room. Nobody else could hear what he said.

"Hi." Merissa said. I smiled. "I would hug you if I wasn't afraid to eat you." she said. I laughed.

"I know." I said. Merissa looked at me for a second and then sighed.

"I'm sorry I haven't kept in touch." she said. I was relieved to hear that because I felt the same way.

"I'm sorry too."