Chapter Two

We had now been living in the house for a full two weeks. There was electricity and running water now, making things more bearable. I stood in my bedroom, the boxes stacked in the corner, the boxes that I had yet to finish unpacking.

"Rose, I'm going to run to the store, do you need anything?" my mother called from downstairs.

"No," I hollered, a moment later I heard the screen door that was now fixed slam shut, and then the sound of her car leaving.

I let out a sigh and ran a hand through my hair. I hated unpacking, it felt wrong, as if my possessions didn't belong here, everything about this house felt wrong.

Nothing felt like it belonged, I felt a foreboding feeling deep in the pit of my stomach.

I jumped startled when I heard Sam ferociously begin to bark downstairs. I hurried across the bedroom to look out the window, out the window I could see a small silver car pulling in, furrowing my brow in confusion, I turned to exit the bedroom, and made my way downstairs.

Sam's barking had stopped, and it had changed he was whining excitedly at the door, his tail moving back and forth.

I could hear someone coming up the steps, they halted in front of the door, for a moment's hesitation, and then the door opened.

"Hey Sammy, how are you doing handsome." I froze at the sight of my sister kneeling in front of Sam, a bag on either side of her.

"Clara?" She looked up, at the sight of me she stood brushing her knees off, a smile lighting up her face.

"Rosie!" She said throwing her arms open, and I ran towards her, colliding with her, she laughed wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug.

"I've missed you, sis." She said releasing me, I took a step back, running my gaze over her. She had changed since I had last seen her. What used to be her long brown hair, was now a styled short bob, and she was thinner than what I had recalled she used to be.

"I didn't know you were coming, I thought you were in New York with Erin," I said, she grimaced, shoving her hands into her jacket pockets.

"Yeah, him and I kind of split, and I didn't have anywhere else to go, so mom bought me a plane ticket, and here I am." She explained, I stared at her in surprise.

"Wait, what about your job at the magazine?" I asked, she let out a nervous laugh.

"Funny story there, I quit." My eyes widened; I shook my head.

"So now you're here?"

"And now I am here, only for a little bit though, of course, that is unless I find a job here, then I'll probably stay for a while," Clara answered, she picked the bags up that were on either side of her.

"So, how about a tour of the place?" Clara prompted changing the subject.

"Well, there isn't much to see, but I guess follow me," I motioned for Clara to follow me, as I led her up the stairs.

"So how is Mom doing?" Clara asked from behind me, I glanced over my shoulder at her.

"How do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean since dad, well you know, and how she suddenly sold the old place and decided to move out here," Clara said once we reached the top of the stairs, I stopped turning around to face her and leaned against the wall, my arms crossed.

"Well, she acts as if everything is fine, and like this is some kind of happy new adventure," I responded; Clara grimaced.

"So, she isn't doing good at all then, she's just shoving it aside and not going through the motions of it." Clara said, and I could hear the sadness in her voice, "She isn't grieving dad at all."