Anpanman

Weeks has compiled into what feels like mere minutes as things become a new normal, again. The flirtation between myself and Jungkook has ceased as well as the one I had formed with Jimin. He had moments where it would resurface, but like a candle he ensured he blew it out quickly before anything serious occurred. I was however happy to see things with Namjoon had truly returned to normal. He'd fallen into a similar friendship type to the one I had formed with Jin and Hobi, which was also unaffected following the conflicts. We had packed, I had vacated my apartment and left work for the last time. Contracts, agreements and my own special set of rules became my life as I worked to discover how to truly work within my new role. 

Patting their faces dry, fetching drinks and clothing among other things seemed simple enough but were difficult to be passionate about. I was however passionate about watching them fullfill the dreams of their adoring fans. I wasn't sure if at this point I could still call myself an army, what with being so close to them. It felt too impersonal, especially considering their new VLive's had hints of me hidden amongst them. They'd talk about stories of each other, switching out my name for another member to share our stories without complications. My bags would often get caught in frame or the hoodies I'd borrowed from members would be laying on their beds and fans would swoon thinking the other members had been in their rooms. In reality, it had been me spending late nights in with Hobi and Tae doing face masks and gaming, or my bag sitting by Namjoon's bed. 

The danger of being caught was no longer such a threat, especially as boarding planes and travelling had my arrivals much earlier than the others. I slipped into airports without notice and waited on planes for hours for their 'estimated arrival time' to allow fans time to watch their idols board in their 'causal clothing'. I'd discovered that this was hardly the case as these outfits were as essential to their brand as their stage or meet and greet clothing, but nothing mattered anymore. I was there, waiting for them to arrive, and nothing could stand in our way. 

"Hey, you came! We were wondering if you'd jet off somewhere else on us after the last few weeks." Tae jokes, taking his seat beside me. 

"And risk you lot tracking me down? Never." 

Comfortable silence follows as we head to the US, a place I'd never been. At least this location gave me a language advantage over the others. The others file into their seats with Jungkook snuggling up to Hobi and nodding off almost immediately. 

They'd all been working hard on their music and choreography, but Jungkook had truly thrown himself into his work recently. I watched as they all fell into comfortable silence, only broken by Jungkook and Namjoon as they began to snore. I'd wondered if things had gone differently where I'd be seated, would I still have been with Tae? Would Jungkook have been resting peacefully on my shoulder, the bags under his eyes diminished? Or would I have remained with Namjoon and been delighted to see his eyes fluttering closed and removed his book from his hands to let him rest as we crossed the ocean? 

'You can't.' 

I wished I could have figured things out, I didn't know where my heart felt it belonged anymore, aside from on this plane with them. Ready for an adventure, I snuggled into Tae's fluffy hair and nodded off as well until seconds before landing. 

After arrival, I waited for the boys to make their way through the airport despite the sun still rising. It was beautiful, the sun rising as they stumbled down the stairs and onto the runway. As they passed through the airport I could see Tae skipping ahead with his security rushing after him, with Jin jogging to keep up. The rest of the members stalked through the crowds of screaming fans with smiles and polite waves, but it was clear they were all still half asleep. After waiting an additional hour, staff were finally cleared to make their way to the cars that had parked close to the aircraft. Apparently staff had difficulties with fans as well, dealing with hate for getting too close to the idols despite their essential roles. The make-up artists huffed, as though they were used to being left behind and berated. 

"Get used to it kid, they'll never respect you." One girl says to me as she exits, pointing to the fans who are now gathered around the front of the airport where the boys have been long gone. 

Another tall, lanky man gives me a soft smile. He's attractive in his own right, and with the others gone it's hard not to appreciate how attractive he is, he extends a hand to me. "Chan, we haven't been introduced. You're the new assistant right? Don't listen, just keep your head down and the fans won't bother you." 

I laugh, gently shaking his hand he looks at me with genuine curiosity. A girl towards the back of the crowd laughs as she ducks into one of the awaiting vehicles, "They'll kill her once they realize she's their pet."

'Pet?'

"Oh... do people really think that?" I ask Chan, who's shaking his head as he jumps into the vehicle I'm assigned to. 

"It's nothing, just rumors as to why you're really here. You sit with them while we sit towards the back, so people talk." 

I hadn't considered my standing, with the fans or with the other staff. It hadn't crossed my mind how my relationship with the boys would be perceived by those who were able to see snippets of our interactions. Sleeping on Tae's shoulder, sharing the same apartment building, of course I was going to be gossiped about. But a pet? Why had I been degraded to being a house pet? 

The drive is long, with the array of vehicles taking different turns as we twisted towards the city. Los Angeles was a beautiful, hot place. God was it hot, and being from Australia that meant something. As apart of my contract, I had strict dress orders and had followed them to a T, despite regretting it now. Sitting wedged between the door and Chan I realized that my blazer and blouse combination was too much, a simple singlet would have served me better. The other in the vehicle don't so much as glance to me, let alone speak but Chan is polite as we small talk. Soon, we're able to spread out as some of the team are dropped off at lavish looking apartment complexes. 

"Be ready, we're next and the hotel is going to be wild. If it's all true, about you and them, you're going to want to really keep your head down." 

The hotel in question is tall, expensive looking and is absolutely swarmed by crowds of fans as I spy someone on a balcony waving to the fans as they call out to him. Chan takes my hand as I adjust my mask, tipping my hat to cover my eyes he leads me inside as the fans call out asking who we are and why we were there. It was anything but welcoming as the figure disappears and we enter the building.