Four

"We're almost there", Arken spoke in a hushed tone as he led the Crows with a flaming torch.

"Where the hell is Jesper?", Kaz growled.

"And Iris", Inej piped up.

"Who cares"

"Just a little further", Arken spoke as they reached a darkened field, shrouded in the mist.

"Landmines", spoke Inej glancing at the sign that graphically displayed a man losing his leg in an explosion.

The goat bleated and tugged on its lead that lay in Kaz's hands.

"We'll wait. Follow the path that you carve"

"That sign, that was my idea to keep people away. Can't be too careful. We're fine. Come on", Arken replied leading them towards the tracks that could be seen entering the Fold.

"It's one thing hearing about it, but this is...", Inej gasped in awe at the thundering cloud of agony itself.

"Nothing compared to what lies within"

Arken began to crank a wheel and a train appeared from the darkness, creaking with an age old groan.

"There. So, goat, jurda... Thank you. Now we're just waiting on..."

"Wait for us!", Jesper shouted as he and Iris fan furiously from the men who were chasing them.

Gunshots ran out through the darkness, whistling bullets skimming past ears and heads.

"Jesper, get here now!", Kaz shouted.

"Leave the lantern", Inej called.

"Landmines!", the pair shouted.

"Oh, wait for me!", Jesper made up his mind, dropping the lantern and running towards the light Arken held up.

"Jesper! This isn't a suicide mission!", Iris shouted as the boy ran off. Turning back to face the crowd of angry men she backed up. "On second thoughts never mind!", she shouted as she legged it across the minefield, following the Zemeni boy, the pair racing like hares trying to escape their predators.

"Don't you go without me! Wait for us! Stop making that face Kaz!", the pair shouted breathlessly.

"Come on!", Kaz groaned.

"Go on, after them!", the men called, anger and lanterns lighting up their faces in ghoulish grim flashes.

"Please tell me you have 20 pounds of alabaster coal", Arken begged worriedly as Jesper handed him the bag.

"Slight snag in the plan. Turns out that the kid who was helping me buy the coal didn't exactly know how to, uh, buy coal"

"We know you gambled it away"

"I lost a little bit of the money"

"You lost all the money", Iris rolled her eyes, bending over heaving for breath with stinging hands and a rasping throat. She wasn't made for so much running she was realising.

"I lost all of the money", Jesper nodded, shoving Iris in the side. "Uh, but I managed to steal 20 pounds of alabaster coal"

"No, no, there's 16 pounds", Arken stuttered.

"Sixteen pounds of alabaster coal!"

"Can we do it on 16?", Kaz asked.

"Never been done before"

"Great!", Iris sighed.

"Let's go! We'll follow their footprints!", the man from outside shouted. Gunshots rang out once again, whistling cries in the dark of the night.