Twelve

Iris watched wide eyed as mayhem descended on the skiff.

"Look after Jesper," Kaz grunted as he rushed up to help Inej face the volcra.

"I'm not a babysitter!" she shouted as he left but one quick glance upwards at the creatures sent her sprawling back into the shadows. "On second thoughts... good idea."

She watched as Ivan brought his shaking hands to Mal again, wincing with every movement. She watched as the General leered over Alina with malicious intent and how Inej and Kaz fought for their lives side by side and finally to Jesper's limp frame.

Patting Jesper on the shoulder she rushed upwards to where Zoya lay on the upper deck. The Squaller gasped in pain and Iris winced as she saw the gash on the Grisha's arm. Ripping part of her shirts sleeve, Iris paused and shivered before gently wrapping up the wound, avoiding touching the Squaller's bare skin.

"Watch out!" Inej croaked in horror from the side. Iris turned just in time to see a volcra flying straight for them, ducking down and rolling onto her front she lay beside Zoya, breathing heavily ignoring the sting on her back that had arisen.

"You need to get us out," she choked as she scrambled upwards. Kaz glanced over to the girl and watched in horror as from the corner of his eye the volcra swooped forwards, eye on its prize. "Zusak!" he shouted, tossing his cane towards the girl who grabbed it with one hand and turning swiftly, struck the volcra across its head. She stumbled backwards and went for it again, jabbing the crow into the creatures side and pulling it backwards, watching as the creature hissed and retreated, falling back into the depths of the Fold.

"Thanks," she swallowed and nodded to Kaz, who's breath seemed to have returned from its brief holiday away, tossing the cane back to the boy and returning to Zoya, shielding the Squaller and nudging her so the skiff could move onwards again.

Suddenly the skiff moved with a jolt and Iris grabbed onto the wooden railing peering over to see the General clutching his hand and Alina Starkov bathed in light that she was in control of once again. Looking to the blackened knife and the shivering General she smiled in relief as the first glimpse of victory limped near with broken hands.

"Mal!" the Sun Summoner cried as the boy leaped towards Kirigan, barreling into him and throwing the pair off the skiff and into the crashing waves of darkness. She started to gasp as Ivan turned his attention and hands to her.

"Jes!" Iris called to the boy, who had dizzily awoken with an aching head and itching fingers, and gestured to the pair.

"We're having words about that name later!" the Zemeni boy called as he rushed towards the Heartrender guns blazing, craving victory which he was received when the man was knocked off the skiff, hopefully to join the monsters that lay in wait in the Fold. It would be like welcoming one of their own home.

Iris seemed to fight an eternal battle with herself. Thoughts plagued her mind, none good, none smart but all essential. She analysed the risks and analysed the rewards and came to the conclusion that she'd rather brave the Fold and the Black Heretic than go back empty handed to a waiting Ketterdam and a restless Pekka Rollins. This man had once worked with Victor, he was tainted to her.

Inej had always sensed before she saw. Whether it was a mans heavy footsteps behind her, Tante Heleen's new proposition, or her friend she'd grown to love dearly about to hurl herself into the Fold, Inej sensed it all. She was used to the uncertainty, the disappointment so she always made sure she was prepared. What she was not prepared for however, was Iris Zusak and her mad dash for vengeance.

"Iris no!" she spoke warningly, alerting Kaz who's neutral mask slipped for a second, then returned to its placid sneer.

Racing towards the edge of the skiff, Iris grabbed a pistol and jumped off, hitting the ground with a tremor, rolling to reduce impact and picking herself up from the dirt, silently but stealthily stalking towards Mal and the General.