chapter 5

as the sky became overcast, the sun hidden somewhere low, gradually letting the moon reign over the horizon, the middle prince heard a knock on his door

as the sky became overcast, the sun hidden somewhere low, gradually letting the moon reign over the horizon, the middle prince heard a knock on his door. after exclaiming a "come in", jaehyuk did as told. yedam changed his position for he was too well-mannered to leisurely lie on the bed with another person watching. he was now sitting upright, peering at the figure in front.

"what is it jaehyuk-ah?"

"the king wants you to come to the throne hall. it is the time of king kanemoto and his brother's departure." the black-haired boy inclined his head, waiting for the other to answer with his eyes on the floor.

yedam sometimes regretted that he couldn't look his friend in the eyes for longer than it was seen appropriate. nevertheless, he brushed off the thoughts, gladly leaving the room. never had he thought that it would feel suffocating inside these four walls till now called only safe space. it was indeed a safe space but only with doyoung occasionally popping in or hyunsuk entering to ask if he wanted to join him and read together.

the boy stood beside the eldest, glancing to his side. his brother was smiling, his eyes shrunk and so he resembled a sun that would never diminish. he looked altered from what yedam could remember and so it made the middle prince less concerned. maybe his brother and yoshinori sorted out all the matters? the young king was there too, standing before them. a warm smile was seen on his face, in particular, this type of smile was directed to hyunsuk only.

the peaceful silence got disturbed by the appearance of two boys dashing through the doors. yedam watched with amusement how his dongsaeng stormed inside, just to halt next to him with tousled hair, bright beam, and messy clothes. haruto on the other hand finished the route from the doors to his brother with dignity, his pace constant, not hurried. on top of that, he bowed towards the people gathered in the room, which almost cause yedam to give doyoung reprimands. he had spent with the model prince nearly the whole day and yet no lesson out of it at all?

"thank you for your hospitality. we will make sure to welcome you to our palace in the near future."

the boy ornamented with a crown, inclined his head, not too deep. the one standing beside did the same gesture, lowering his head with courtesy, and with a few further farewells, the pair was gone.

the king left the place soon after. hyunsuk swiftly followed him, yedam heard the older saying how he needed to talk about something urgent and so it was only him and doyoung now. the middle prince nudged the other on the arm, asking playfully :

"and? did you have fun with your childhood friend?"

doyoung's eyes sparkled. a smile swap over his face yet unsure as if unbidden, as if he tried to conceal the ample happiness and thrill.

"y-yes we had fun together." was an answer, given like the ones which are supposed to cut the topic.

yedam tilted his head, discontented and slightly flabbergasted. was he really his brother? he was a chatterer, and so the last thing yedam expected was silence.

"what did you two–" the conversation was about to be prolonged but at this second yedam spotted something odd.

reddish marks on doyoung's white shirt. the older got closer to take a better look, grasping the material in his hands. his motion wasn't harsh, yet it made the other start noticeably. yedam could say for sure, that the stains were cherry color not red. and as if it wasn't enough to make the older angry, or nosy, another discovery managed to shake him.

"doyoung-ah... why do you have your shirt on the wrong side?"

the silence prevailed and yedam thought he could hear his brother's heart thumping, imitating a hammer. the other's eyes widened, he gulped scratching his nape with uneasiness.

"I must have had it worn like this since morning..." he stuttered. "I-I am such a bad prince! I will make sure to never let it happen again, I learned my lesson! thank you hyung!"

out of a sudden the younger bowed vigorously two times and implying that right now he will repent and think his wrong-doing through, he disappeared as if taken by the wind.

yedam remained on the spot petrified, not because of doyoung's quirky and reasonable actions. for the first time, doyoung lied to him. and now one thought couldn't stop torturing the middle prince.

what was so terrible and shameful, that he decided to lie?

// ✧ //

take a guess what the youngest prince did 👀❤