𝐎𝐍𝐄

-
-
-

𝐒𝐇𝐄 played with the hem of her dress as he crossed his arms and tapped his foot impatiently. Leaning back in his seat he took a deep sigh as the clock ticked loudly.

They both looked up at the clock to see that they had already been waiting for forty five minutes and the waiting room still was nowhere near empty. A couple talked loudly in Spanish next to them and the couple on the other side of them mostly remained silent.

He quickly glanced beside himself to see that she hid her face in her lap. He looked back at the clock and only a minute had passed.

He rolled his dark brown eyes.

Time just could not move fast enough. Not like he had anywhere to go that day. He just didn't want to be there.

     "Umm... Mr. Lee and Ms. Bozack." A man called out their names. They stood and made their way into the office. "It's nice seeing you again Miss. Bozack." The man smirked as he lowered himself into his chair. "Or should I say, Mrs. Lee."

     "Mr. Ruth." She acknowledged him as she sunk in her seat and her long brown dreadlocks covered her shoulders along with the back of the chair.

     "So I hear you two are getting married. When's the wedding?" They both looked warily around the room then at each other.

     "Well, I was just thinking about heading down to the courthouse and getting it over with-- er-- I mean, since we love each other so much." She suggested.

     "Why the rush?" Mr. Ruth questioned. "If it's a real wedding then why not have a real ceremony?"

     "We just don't want anything big." Dong wook chimed.

     "Oh yeah?" He replied skeptically. "What's your wife's name?" He turned to the younger man.

     "Umm... Bozack." Dong wook shrugged as if the answer were obvious.

     "It's Jimena." She sighed deeply as she hid her face in her hands.

     "See... I knew this was a sham." The older man chuckled.

     "It's not a sham, we are getting married."

     "Have you set a date?"

     "This Friday." Dong wook blurted.

     "Fine." He raised one thin eyebrow. "But, you know that if this marriage is fake, you go to prison..." He then turned to Jimena. "... and you get deported."

     "Well we'll see you Friday then." Her fiancée stood.

     "And I'll be around to do checkups on you guys. Just a heads up." Mr. Ruth added smugly.

Jimena looked to Dong Wook as he opened the door for himself then left. She followed after him.

     "Hey. Hey! Asshole!" She called as his long strides had already gotten him almost halfway down the hallway. He stopped and turned. "If we want people to believe that we're in love, you should probably be nice to me. And at least learn my name."

      "Whatever, Jamie."

     "Jimena. And everyone calls me Jimmy or Jim."

      "Jimmy? If someone hears me calling you they're gonna think I'm with a man."

      "Are you that insecure in your masculinity?" She glared over her shoulder for a second before continuing to walk off.