Chapter 2 - Another bold move

The cold wind that flew in made Anuka's eyes tear up. He wished he had brought in a sweater with him. He slipped his hands under his arm pitas and got goose bumps all over his body as soon as the warmth of his armpits met the cold hands.

His toes curled as he was wearing slippers which was a mistake he would be making until he earns enough money to buy a pair of shoes.

He did not want to worry his parents by asking them to buy him a new pair. Money was tight and he was well aware of it.

They drove on the bumpy muddy road for about twenty minutes before getting to the concrete road. They drove past the shanty looking houses that had plastic sheets instead of walls which Anuka rightly guessed to be the houses of tea pluckers and grassy plains.

From the concrete road they got on to a tar road that looked as if it was brand new. There were no broken bits and holes filled with mud and muddy water and the ride was smooth. The conversation between Vijay and Kanagaraj died down as the age old three wheel struggled to drag three of them up the mountain road.

The road wrapped around a pine forest like a grey snake. Anuka could see the pine trees that were growing in neat lines and the squirrels that ran up along the tree trunks playing with each other.

The coldness was getting intense with every turn they made up the road. And to Anula's surprise they were not met with any other vehicles.

For a place like Nuwara Eliya which is a tourist destination it felt a bit weird.

But he did not dislike it. In fact he appreciated it. The calm environment reminded him a little bit of the university.

It was a calm peaceful place with little to no people hanging around. Only a handful of university staff that was there to take care of early comers like Anuka and about a hundred students staying in the hostel. Anuka arrived in the university a week before the official intake of their batch. That was because he was coming from Colombo. And since it was a long distance to travel daily he requested a hostel to stay in. And even though the government pays for his food and hostel and even though he received almost three thousand rupees ( roughly nine dollars?) a month, he knew he needed more money. And to earn more he needed to find in this unfamiliar place that is alien to him.

And speaking of a job though he was on his way to find one, Mr. Kanagaraj did not specify what kind of a job he has for him. And when he first asked him if he knew a place that was hiring he said, " Oh, I know one good place. You boy come to my house this Thursday evening I'll take you there!"

Anuka thought he would tell him what kind of a job that was. He knew he was in no condition to do a physically straining job. A job like log keeping or something that requires little physical effort would be something that is up his ally.

But once they stopped at "Crimson Crescent", what was expected from him became evident to Anuka.

Part of him was struck by wonder and curiosity at how someone like Mr. Kanagaraj had connections with a place like Crimson Crescent. It was a well known hotel chain. One of the best and well known in Sri Lanka though they only had a handful of them around the country.

Even though Anuka did not expect to find a "Crimson Crescent" here almost in the middle of nowhere he knew that the place was famous as there were about ten cars parked outside of it.

The sight of fancy cars almost intimidated Anuka. Although he had grown up seeing them roaming here and there in Colombo, and even though his friends that grew up with him always talked about them, he never associated himself with them.

And now as he walked with Mr. Kanagaraj he had a sinking feeling appearing and disappearing throughout his body. A sick feeling lingering in his stomach as his feet dragged him along the parking lot.

"We will... go through the back door."

Mr. Kanagaraj said quickly as he walked through the parking lot.

"Okay." Anuka agreed even though he felt like there was no room for his opinion.

Mr. Kanagaraj paused in the fancy parking lot to spit once again. This time painting a small plant that was planted in the parking lot that had tiny purple flowers. Half of the flowers turned red with the rain of beetle juice and saliva concoction Mr. Kanagaraj offered it.

"A bold move sir!"

Anuka told himself in his head as he would not dare to spit at a place like that. He would not dare to even walk in to a place like that in the first place with a mouth stained with bright red beetle juice.

And as the walked along the side of the building towards the back of the hotel he asked his unanswered question once more.

"What exactly is the job sir? Is it to clean the floors or something?"

"Ah... The job right? Nah. I don't remember exactly."

Mr. Kanagaraj said as he came to a halt. He scrunched up his nose while closing his eyes and looked at the sky trying to remember it.

"I think they are looking for someone to take the food?"

He said before starting to walk again.

"Oh." Anuka said with amusement albeit he did not understand him fully. But there was a hint in what he said.

"What is meant by someone to take the food? Is the job to become a delivery guy? The garbage boy? A Waiter?"

Anuka though to himself.

What ever the way he was happy.

It meant that he had a job. Something to do. A way to earn money.

A small spark of happiness and joy burned in his heart as they walked their way towards the back of the hotel.