Part 1

We walked into the house, instantly met with the sweet smell of croissants. The door opened and Fran walked out,grinning. " Hi" I smiled back and said hello.  Marta touched my arm and nodded at me, which meant she had to go and find Harlan. I nodded back and Marta headed to the stairs, leaving me and Fran alone. " So are you helping out at the party tomorrow night?" Fran said whilst tidying some books away. " If you need me , then I will." She looks at me and smiles, " That would be great, I don't think me and Marta can handle the entire party." "In that case, I will." I say tying on my apron.Fran smiles at me appreciatively and walks back into the kitchen.

"Guess I better get started." Hands on my hips, I scan the hall, deciding where to clean first. I decide on Harlan's study. Grabbing my mop , I step into his study. I was shocked at what I saw: papers everywhere; books opened on the floor ,mugs and bowls all over the desk. This wasn't like Harlan at all, he was always neat and tidy. I sighed heavily. 'May as well get to work' I thought, this was gonna take me ages. I knelt down, starting to pick the papers up when something caught my eye, a letter to Harlan from his solicitor. It read:

Dear sir,

We deeply understand you wish to change your  will. Therefore we are sending the new will as soon as possible. We hope everything is satisfactory. Thank you.

Alan Stevens

I couldn't believe it , Harlan wished to change the will. 

Suddenly the door swung open, Harlan entered and started to yell. " What are you doing, girl?!" I stood up , scared, Harlan never shouted. " I..I..I was just cleaning up the study." He came closer and held my shoulders , "You get out of this study right now, you understand?" " You don't have permission to be in here." I nodded and he let go. Quickly I left the room, not wanting to anger him anymore. 

Once I was outside, I leant against a wall and sighed. That had scared me badly, Harlan rarely shouted and if he did it was for more brandy or to play a game with Marta. Eyes closed, I breathed in and out slowly. My heart was racing.