A Witch's Promise

--

Chapter Fifteen

A Witch's Promise

--

There was an odd pounding inside his head. Was it inside his head?

Eric gave a low groan. Despite everything feeling heavy, he was extremely comfortable. He groaned, blinking weakly. He was back in his bed. Someone had taken great care to tuck him in thoroughly. His electric blanket had been laid on top and left on a low setting, effectively turning Eric into a bird blanket burrito.

It took quite a bit of effort to wriggle his arm free and pickup the phone on his bedside table which someone had thoughtfully plugged into charger for him. Eric fumbled with the screen for a moment. It was 10:30 in the morning. Late for him but not insanely so. Until he caught sight of the date and nearly dropped the phone.

Holy Shit!

He had slept for over twenty-four freaking hours!

He also had four text messages and three missed calls. One each from Bec and Katie and a third from his boss at the book shop. He groaned. He wiggled himself into the sitting position. It was then that the knocking started up again. He was apparently wearing boxers. He didn't remember putting them on though.

Slowly and gingerly, he stood, rocking his weight onto his left leg. When there was no sharp stab of pain, he leant a little more. His leg was a little weak but there was no trace of the bone deep cut that had crippled him. In fact, most of his cuts and scrapes were completely gone. He hurriedly grabbed a shirt to hid the bandages around his torso and went to the door.

"Oh, thank god, we were beginning to think you were dead!" Katie spluttered when he finally opened the door. She peered up at him anxiously. Eric knew he probably didn't look great.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, her eyes dark with worry.

"Sorry I didn't answer my phone. I came back from the city feeling pretty wretched. I think I caught something whilst I was there, completely knocked me off my feet," he lied. He really hated just how smooth and easy lying came to him these days but if it met keeping the people he loved out of harms way, then he would do it. Katie raised a hand and placed it on his cheek. He could feel the rough stubbled along his own jaw. He needed a shave.

"My gods you are warm!" she spluttered. This had more to do with the fact he was a phoenix and had been baking under an electric blanket but she didn't need to know that.

"I need to call Carol and apologies," he groaned. Katie shook her head.

"I need to go to the post office. I'll stop on the way and tell her your sick. You go back to bed. Do you need anything? Have you got and cold and flu tablets? Are you drinking enough water?" she asked sternly. Eric gave a weak laugh.

"I only just woke up. Yes, I've got cold tablets." She eyed him dangerously.

"Bed. I'll bring you up some soup," she said tartly.

"That really isn't -"

"Bed!"

Bullied back inside his own apartment, Eric trudged over to the sink and filled up a glass. He drank down two glasses of water before opening a few of the curtains to let the light in. He pulled open the patio sliding door all the way to welcome the roar of the ocean and squawking of gulls.

Katie came and had left him a massive bowl of chicken soup and a threat to hang him by his ankles if she found out he wasn't resting. He sent a message to Carol and Bec, apologising and explaining away his absence. He knew Katie would tell them but he wanted to touch base with them anyway.