The Second Task

Yeah, I've been away for a bit. Life got rough. Me and my bf of 3 years broke up after constant arguing for 4 months, my coworker and I hooked up and he gave me HSV-2, I started working 40+ hours every week, college got rough, some family stuff, and now I'm moved to a whole different state for school and I'm doing that, so yeah. I apologize I've away for so long but hey, I'm HOPING that I can get back on track.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Y/n] P.O.V
Cold.

That's all. Just cold. I can't feel my hands, fingers, toes, anything. Wait, am I supposed to be able to feel my nose?

Anyways, we're standing here waiting for the second task to start. I'm beyond irritated at the fact I'm not allowed to compete. I could have found a spell to help myself heal or at at least sustain bodily durability so swimming wouldn't damage me more, but nooo, Professor McGonagall basically told me that I'd have detention for the rest of the year.

Talk about being a Karen... just kidding.

A few small taps on her shoulder interrupts her thoughts. One of the Weasley twins, she found it almost impossible to tell who was who seeing as how any time she was with them they'd mess with her in telling them apart, offered [Y/n] a heavy-ish blanket. She hesitated and considered that this could have been one of their icky pranks but asked herself 'How can they prank me with a blanket?' With a small smile and longish-term eye contact, she went to grab the heavy red and gold blanket but was beat to the punch as the twin wrapped the canvas around [Y/n]'s shoulders and held her tight.

Now, having known the Weasleys for such a long time, [Y/n] didn't mind the gesture, but was intimidated by the speed of the interaction, causing her face to burn up. She still was unsure which twin it was until after he started laughing at her embarrassed-pink-toned cheeks.

Fuck you, Fred Weasley.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

After what seemed like an eternity, Dumbledore started the basic announcements; what the task entailed, the standings, and a few other things of importance.

[Y/n] craned her neck to watch as the canon sounded and the competitors jumped in to the cold waters. She cringed as she watched four student bodies hit the icy waters of the lake, not even noticing Harry doing his own dying thing. She shivered in response to the scene that played before her.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Minutes had past. No, hours. No, what? The task is only an hour long. [Y/n] didn't understand what was taking the five so long, or what they were even searching for, OR where Ron and Hermione were.

Then it hit her. The pieces of the puzzle were put together. [Y/n] checked her watch, saying that there was only 15 minutes left. No one had emerged yet besides Fleur, who had to come back due to being attacked by Grindylows. [Y/n] waited a few more minutes before tearing the blanket off of her, accidentally shaking poor Fred who carried a look of confusion at her sudden movements.

[Y/n] stripped down to a shirt and long legging pants. She threw her watch to Fred and her coat, hat, and gloves at his feet. She took her wand and muttered the spell Aquosus aer caput. In a matter of seconds, [Y/n]'s neck had gills and her hands webbed.

"Hey now, where do you think you're going?" Fred dropped the blanket and watch on to the pile of [Y/n]'s clothes and tried to grab her, but she was too quick. Before he could react any further, [Y/n] was already moving hurriedly towards the edge of the platform, jumping into a dive before anyone could stop her and penciling straight in.

[Y/n] swam as fast as her body could take her. She moved towards the sound of screaming merpeople. She only hoped that everyone, especially her friends, were OK. Suddenly, a big shark wizzed by causing [Y/n] to panic. She swam even faster, finally reaching the gates of the kingdom.

Approaching, she saw students floating unconscious while tied up. Cho, Ron, and Fleur's little sister, Gabrielle, all three floating in the merky green waters. No one was to be found besides the three. As she swam forward more, she realized that she would only be able to hold two of them, but she couldn't just leave the third behind.

She had to think fast. She kept looking around to see if any of the others were nearby, but [Y/n] was out of luck. She whipped out her wand as quickly as the water would allow her to and broke Ron's chain apart with a quick spell. Without even saying the spell, she helped move him quickly by levitating Ron closer towards the surface.

Next was Fleur's sister. Not that [Y/n] didn't like Cho, but she knew Fleur would be shaking right now, and not just from the cold. As she casted another spell to break the chains on Gabrielle, she heard the screeching of the Merpeople, signaling to [Y/n] that she needed to move faster. As she did with Ron, who was out of sight by now, she wordlessly levitated Gabrielle to the surface, also in hopes that Ron would have take consciousness and help her to the platforms.

"[Y/ɴ]!" Her name was yelled faintly from close-by but [Y/n] wasn't able to make out where from. She whipped herself around trying to find the source until it came to her. Both Cedric and Harry had finally made it and it left the three of them to rescue Cho.

The screeching from the Merpeople became louder and louder until the three contenders were surrounded. The Merpeople circled them and one swam up and threatened them with a trident, poking the air between the two groups.

"You were to take only one!"
YoU WeRe tO tAkE oNLy OnE! Literally, shut up. [Y/n]'s thoughts carried her to defend herself as the Merpeople began to attack.

Man, this is NOT how I saw myself dying.

One of the students needed to grab Cho and get out before time ran out. Knowing this, Cedric found an escape during the battle and quickly made a swim for it. After breaking her chains, he grabbed her and got out as quickly as possible.

As for Harry and [Y/n], as if the two were psychologically connected, grabbed hands as Harry muttered Ascendio. Launching the two out of the water and on to the platform, the crowd burst into a rupture of cheers and applause.

Staff and students rushed over to the two. Staff scolded [Y/n] for her rebellious nature, but also thanked her silently for her bravery and quick thinking.

"Harry! [Y/n]! Thank God you two are alright! And [Y/n]! Fred told me what you did! You could have been-" [Y/n] gave Hermione a "Really? Come on," look as she rambled on.

Fleur ran over and thanked [Y/n] for what she had done, along with Ron for helping Gabrielle swim to the platform. After receiving a kiss on the cheek, he started stammering, trying to play it cool.

Eventually, Dumbledore's voice boomed.
"Attention!! The winner is... Mr. Diggory!!" The crowd errupts in a roar, while Karkaroff boos, being a sore loser. "However, seeing as Mr. Potter would have finished first, had it not been for his determination to rescue Mr. Weasley but the others as well, along with Miss [L/n], who was supposed to be scratched from this task but acted upon heroism and saved Mr. Weasley and others, as well, we have agreed to award them both second place!" The crowd roars louder than last time and students start chanting their names, but more so [Y/n]'s.

Oh boy, I'll be hearing about this from McGonagall later.