To Grandmother's House We Go

First days of school always suck. But at least at home I knew I had friends to sit by, to talk to. However you tend to lose friends pretty fast when you and your whole town find out your a water witch. Them finding out by you flooding the singular high school in the town? That not only leaves you with no friends but a little thing called a mob. So I had been packed up and shipped off to Westonville which had about triple the amount of people my old town had to live with the grandmother my mom, being the good Christian she was, liked to pretend didn't exist (Read; Wiccan).

I walked out of the taxi that had picked me up from the airport and grabbed the bags that contained everything I could pack up in the 24 hours I had been given to leave the town. Two bags worth of stuff were the only things I had now. My band posters, teddy bears, snow globe collection were all still back in Jamesville, but knowing my mother they now held the honorable position of the trashcan. She was probably ecstatic that her daughter, the witch was gone. Now she could live out the perfect suburban wife without the shame I brought. Why else had she shipped me off to my grandmother's house at the first opportunity? I put my bags down on the side walk and stared up at her house. Didn't look much like the den of Satan my mother thought it was. It just looked ordinary.It was a Victorian house about two stories tall, with a small little cherry tree on the front lawn just starting to bloom, a little porch with an old wooden swing, it looked about as far from a witches den as possible.

Then I heard footsteps from behind me and swung around to find an old women looking at me with a bemused smile.
"I come in peace, Abby." she raised her hands, and laughed, " I tried to get here before you but traffic was awful."

"Grandma?" I said in shock. She looked nothing like Mom-the perfect Stepford wife- her hair was a dark brown almost as wavy as mine, and her face was a tanned olive one, and her eyes were brown as oak and bright and kind.

She reached forward and grabbed my hand ."I haven't seen you for so long!" she rambled on for almost 5 minutes about how long it had been and I let her talk until she mentioned my father.

" You- you knew him?" Mom had only said she met him on a missionary trip to Africa, and he had died there!

She frowned at me. "Of course I knew my daughter's husband silly goose!" She grabbed my bags and kept on talking as we went towards the door, but I couldn't hear her through my shock. I just stumbled after her towards the door.

I jumped a little when she put her hand on my arm when we reached the door. She looked me in the eyes and gave me a gentle smile,"I know I may seem like a crazy old grandmother now, but I'll explain everything later." I opened my mouth to ask but she put up a hand to stop me, "I'll explain the witch thing too, just later. The walls have ears in this town." She pointed behind me and I saw the curtains of the house across the street were open. I squinted trying to see the contents of the house and saw a pair of bright teal eyes staring straight at me before the curtain swiftly hid the observer.

And I thought being nosy was a small town phenomenon.