13 | Aint No Rest For the Wicked

Y/N

When Tom and I ran our seperate ways, I disappeared into the crowds and quickly changed up my appearance in the best way I could. I tied my hair up into a ponytail with the elastic on my wrist, discarded my jacket on a nearby bench and took a pair of cheap sequin covered bunny ears from a group of teenage girls as I walked behind them. Sorry girls, but I need to blend in more than you need to match for your carnival selfies.

Popping the headband on, I heard two policeman yell for the crowds to move to the side as they ran quickly towards the other end of the amusement strip, red and blue flashing lights glowing in the distance. Without thinking I followed them, needing to know what exactly they were running towards. Were they finding two dead bodies or were they finding Tom?

There were people swarming in both directions; some gravitating towards the crime scene, others sheltering themselves and their children from witnessing the events of a police raid. Following a few others, I made it to the other end of the strip, where police cars had been parked to block citizens off. There was a crowd forming at the end to try and peer through the cops and see what all the fuss was about. Amongst the nosy crowd, were several disgruntled thrill-seekers wanting to go on the rides that had now been blocked off.

"Nothing to see here folks, the rides in this area are unavailable until further notice!" One of the cops yelled out to us all as we watched dozens of policemen in the distance.

This was where I watched Tom from afar being apprehended by police; electrocuted by a taser and handcuffed behind his back as two large men pushed him to his knees. They escorted him from the grass up towards the police cars where I stood amongst the crowd, making direct eye contact with Tom as the two men pushed his head down into the back of the car and slammed the door closed.

That lingering eye contact was dangerous for both of us but said more than words could describe. He saw me and wanted me to know that he was taking the fall for this. He didn't kill those men, I did. He could easily have pointed to me and dragged me under. He could have kicked and screamed and protested when they arrested him. He could have told them my name, my address, the fact I had run into the carnival when he ran towards the tents.

But he didn't. He was saving me the same way I saved him tonight. He was returning the favour with his life.

It wasn't long before announcements were made over the show ground speakers asking all patrons to exit the carnival due to the police operation currently being executed. Surrounded by groans and disappointed faces, I followed everyone back to the large car parks where I found my car, sat in the drivers seat and cried.

I cried profusely. The past hour was filled with carnival music, flashing lights, screaming crowds, sirens and gunshots. Inside my car it was still and quiet, yet the silence felt the most deafening. My head was resting against the steering wheel and I screamed as loud as I could. It was a scream of frustration, anguish, sadness and fear. It was a complete and utter act of expelling every little emotion inside my body. I didn't know what to think, I didn't know how to feel, I just screamed.

From: Priya Ramakrishnan
To: Y/N L/N

Hey doll,
How'd tonight's stake out go? Get anything good on these Triad motherfuckers? Hope you at least got some cotton candy and a show bag whilst you were at it ;)

- P.R

Looking at my screen through glassy tear filled eyes I composed an email back to Priya. She knew that I was heading to the carnival tonight and she knew that I had found out the Triad members were meeting at eight. I guess she just wanted a friendly update; although the update was far from friendly.

From: Y/N L/N
To: Priya Ramakrishnan

Hey P,
Wrong time for the meet up. Bodies were out cold when I rocked up, someone else must have gotten to them first. Tell the client I can't finish the job. Sorry.

I drove home in silence; no music, no wind from an open window, nothing. I parked my car, walked inside, took a shower and stared at myself in the bathroom vanity mirror. The girl staring back at me was a girl who should be in the back of a cop car and facing the consequences of her actions tonight. I don't deserve to be here right now when Tom was being arrested for two murders he didn't commit.

I opened my bathroom cabinet, applied a vigorous skin care routine and plaited my hair loosely as I always did. I gathered my thoughts whilst staring at myself, took a deep breath and reminded myself of three things to stay composed.

What happened tonight was unexpected.
How it ended was unfortunate.
But it certainly was not my fault.

Tom shouldn't be arrested for a crime that I committed. No matter who he is, or what he has done, he doesn't deserve this.

With a sudden spark of genius and inspiration, I hurried to my office and sat down in the large leather office chair. With the force and momentum of my fast pace, the chair rolled to the side along the floor boards but I pulled myself back towards the desk with my arms. I opened the drawer to the right of me and skimmed my fingers over me hard drives. I pulled one out and plugged it into my laptop to collate new data. I then pulled out a second. And a third.

There was no time to sleep, I had work to do.