Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"So, let me get this straight..." I looked over at Olivia, focusing on her legs dangling off the balcony of the mansion. She helped me sneak in without the "teacher" (the creator) noticing (I could've easily teleported inside myself but I couldn't let her know about my Odd Eye). We had been talking for the past few hours, trying to make sense of both of our situations.

She was shy at first, not really knowing what to say, but eventually she got comfortable talking to me. The entire time I had to act as if I had amnesia. It felt wrong lying to her but, as I said before, I wasn't allowed to give her knowledge of the Loonaverse. She would have to take that step herself. Right now, all I could do was try my best to get a grasp of the situation at hand.

"Yves found out that the teacher was supposedly hiding the truth from all of you, then she convinced the other members to go with her into the Garden of Eden, only for them to never return?" I recited a summarized version of the story she just told me to make sure I was understanding correctly. She nodded her head in confirmation, never looking back at me. "So you've been here by yourself ever since then?" Once again, she nodded. There was a frown on her face as she stared longingly into the forest where her friends disappeared to.

At first, I thought Yves's plan was clever. I was beginning to think that maybe I should've never intervened. If Olivia Hye was left in isolation for long enough, she would slowly learn to love the dark part of herself. Eventually, the betrayal of her friends would drive her to partake of the Fruit and leave Eden once and for all. The process would happen without any need for intervention.

But, the more I got to know her over the next few weeks, the more I realized that she didn't deserve it. She was pure. Although her grey heart was halfway corrupted by sin, the light side was stronger. She never chose that sin. The black was a product of her conception: Within Heejin's pink was white and on the opposite side of the spectrum was black. It was inevitable that one of the angels created in her image would be inherently corrupted.

The fallen angel. Doomed with darkness. It just so happened that would end up being Olivia Hye.

Now that I was here, Yves's plan was bound to fail. However, I knew what I had to do to get both of us back to Earth. It wouldn't be easy, it would take time and patience, but something deep within myself told me that Olivia Hye was worth the effort. That she needed to be saved or else everything would go wrong.

After all, Lucifer was a fallen angel.

~

A few weeks later...

"There you are, I've been looking all over for you." I said, exasperated from running around the house. "Do you know how hard it is to get anywhere in this place with that freaky lady around every corner?" Olivia had her back turned to me as I walked further into the empty room. Now that I let my eyes wander, I realized I had never been in here before. It was dark with only a few thin strips of light entering through the closed curtains. "Seriously, I'm convinced she can see through walls or something." I joked, waiting for her to join in or start laughing. "It's a miracle I haven't gotten caught y-" I stopped dead in my tracks.

There, in front of her, was a mirror reflecting her own face back at her. Once I could actually see it, my heart dropped in my chest. The only thing I could focus on was the tears streaming down her face. In all the times I had seen Olivia Hye, she had never, ever shown her vulnerable side to me. Her expression was permanently stone cold, besides very rare occasions when I made her smile or laugh.

She was clearly the type of person who held her emotions in. Too afraid to let them show: because of judgment or her own dignity, I wasn't sure. Or maybe she didn't even let herself feel them, instead burying them deep inside and hoping that they'd never surface. Whatever the case was, the only thing I knew was that, right now, in this moment, she couldn't keep them in any longer.

I didn't wait another second before rushing to her. My arms wrapped around her body just before she collapsed to the ground, sobbing uncontrollably. From the moment we made eye contact on my first day here in Eden, I just knew she was battling her own inner demons. I'm sure those days, or weeks, after her friends left her alone definitely didn't help either.

I suppose it was just naive of me to think that I was doing all I could to fix her. Sometimes other people aren't the solution, especially when it comes to mental health. In reality, it was up to her to come to terms with what she was going through and figure out her own solution. So I just did all I could to comfort her.

Even though I was there to try and mend the pieces of her heart back together, they were still ultimately broken. Yves's plan didn't fail completely after all. Except it only went halfway. Olivia felt the pain of betrayal, but she wasn't left alone long enough to learn how to love the dark part of herself.

Because I was there.

When this realization began to register in my mind, it was all too late. She stood up from my arms and stormed out of the room. I was left sitting on the ground, staring at my own reflection in the mirror. A defeated look was permanently etched across my face as one thought crossed my mind:

When did it all go so wrong?