Chapter Forty-Nine: Reasons

Adir's POV:

Kitsuk sits at my feet as I braid her hair, seeming happy to just be relaxing with everyone.

"Kitsuk! You're not supposed to be winning" Kilian laughs, clearing their game.

Kitsuk giggles, turning to glance up at me gleefully.

"Dorian!" Kitsuk stiffens in front of me and my hands pause in her hair at the call from outside.

All eyes fly to Dorian and no one moves for a moment.

"Dorian!" Kimmel calls again from outside.

A day has passed since the incident with the girl and we had thought the situation had passed.

Kitsuk curls around my legs as Kilian and Dorian stand to confront Kimmel.

"Why are they here?" Issac questions quietly, coming to curl around Kitsuk as Kilian looks out the blinds.

"I come alone," Kimmel calls, sensing the unease his presence brings.

"Stay with her Issac," I command, going to follow my brothers for backup.

Kitsuk is too petrified to protest, wrapping herself around Issac as we leave.

Kimmel stands away from our hut several feet, aware being any closer in proximity to our home is seen as a threat.

"Kimmel, what brings you on our land?" Dorian questions, trying to keep himself from sounding accusatory.

"...Our woman says you returned a daughter of my clan," Kimmel supplies, keeping his hand relaxed in his pockets.

"...Yes, she was lost on our land," Dorian says uneasily, all of us still unclear his point of being here. Just to say thank you? He could have done that the next time our paths cross as to not cause alarm like this.

"She said you had your woman take her onto our land..." Kimmel continues.

"...We did not want to cause the daughter of your clan alarm. We thought a woman would not distress her," Dorian explains.

"...My clan would like to invite you to a feast to express our gratitude."

Silence reigns from us, all our minds spinning with what this could mean and what could go wrong.

"We would be honored to join your clan," Kitsuk says softly from behind us, making me jump.

"Issac," Kilian scolds immediately, seeing he didn't keep Kitsuk hidden away.

Kitsuk stays tucked behind me, halfway in the doorway.

I tense at her touch, only because she shouldn't be out here.

"We are grateful for your invitation—" Dorian starts to backtrack.

"And are excited to share a meal with your clan," Kitsuk cuts off Dorian.

Kimmel glances between Dorian and Kitsuk, sensing the tension between the two.

Dorian doesn't seem to know what to say, already having been interrupted by Kitsuk.

"Tomorrow at sunset then I will escort you all from the boarder," Kimmel says awkwardly.

Kitsuk just smiles and nods, letting Kimmel leave.