Chapter Fifty-Eight: Choices

Kitsuk's POV:

"Do you think it will really happen, the merge?" Mara questions excitedly, playing with the shells we have found.

I glance back at our men, watching them converse amongst each other. They are clearly talking business, but they do not look like they are arguing.

"I sure hope so...It is... nerve racking, change is hard, but I hope for the sake of both our clans..."

Mara nods vigorously, a small frown coming across her face as she turns to look at the waves again.

"Can I ask you something about your men?" Mara questions.

"Of course, is everything alright?" I question, concern coursing through me at her distress.

"The younger one in your clan..." she says.

"Issac?"

"Asara was supposed to be promised to him. I agreed in giving Mara away to him," she says, looking down at the sand at her omission.

"Oh..."

I can tell she is upset, but I am not sure what I can say. Issac has made his decision and I don't think even I can persuade him to change it.

"I was not aware my lord would offer her to another when he did not accept," Mara continues, making me see where this is going.

"Is your clan retracting their offer?" I breathe out, my heart dropping, knowing how much this will devastate Larken.

"No, my lord is quite adamant to pursue their pairing," Mara admits, her voice growing tight as tears gather in her eyes.

"Oh Mara," she chokes back a sob, turning to cry into my arms as I reach for her.

"He is so much older than her. Issac was a lot older too, but all the rest of your men are almost as old as the men in my clan," Mara cries.

I do not know what to say, it is true Larken is much older.

"Tell me her will be kind to her," Mara begs me.

"Larken will be the most kind. When my men first got me, I fell in love with Larken first. Do not tell my lord though, but it is true. I was so scared when they brought me home, but he made me laugh and smile.

"He was so sweet and gentle. Larken is who I am closest to besides my lord even now. He is like a brother to me. I know he will treat Asara well," I promise my friend.

"Do you know how old he is?" Mara sniffles, wiping her face.

My brows furrow as I try to recall if I know.

"I think he is in his mid twenties... maybe a few years older or younger..."

Mara nods, sniffling again. "My lord was right. I thought he was older." I nod softly, knowing Larken is still old for Asara even though he may not be as old as Mara thought. "Do you think he will demand for her now?"

"I think he will want to meet her, but I do not believe he will demand anything of her for a long time. I already let him know Asara will be fearful of him for a while," I confide to Mara. "Does she know?"

"My lord took her out for a walk yesterday and told her there was a man she had been promised to as a wife," Mara admits.

"...Was she upset?"

"She does not even know what that means," Mara laughs bitterly.

I nod softly, conflicted about the situation now.

I am happy for Larken because he deserves a wife, but poor Asara is just a child, she has not really even begun her life before it has been promised to Larken.

"I'm sorry, Mara..." I whisper and she just nods.

"I suppose there isn't much else out there for her though, is there?" Mara laughs bitterly again.

I shake my head, aware the way things are.

"My clansmen are pushing for me to be pregnant soon, so hopefully your children will have some company around here."

Mara smiles at this, wiping away the last of her tears.

"Motherhood is so beautiful. I do not know what your lord is like, but there is nothing more attractive than seeing your lord dote over your children," Mara grins.

I've never thought of Adir being a father really, the idea of a man helping with children strange to me.

"I am unsure how to feel about motherhood, truth be told. I wish to give my clansmen children, but it makes me nervous. Being bed still makes me a little nervous.

"I never knew being bed could be enjoyable until Adir showed me. It still seems strange to me, but I am happy at the surprise. I do not know how you gave birth by yourself. I don't know how I will do it."

Mara laughs now. "Do you really think your lord will let you give birth alone? My men's compromise for when I gave birth was that they would close their eyes."

"They were there?" I question in horror, my cheeks heating now at the thought of my men being present when I birth.

"Yes, and they still don't understand how ridiculous it is. My lord insisted he be on the receiving end so he could welcome both my children into the world when it was time and the rest of my men wanted to be there with me as I entered motherhood. I don't know what their excuse was the second time, but they did now want to leave," Mara continues to laugh.

I smile too, excited by her story.

I'm sure Adir will be just as insistent on being there. Although he does well to share me, I do not think he will allow his brothers to be there as I give birth though.

Dorian and Killian are quite insistent and don't even get me started on Issac. I do not think there is any world where Issac will not be there when I give birth. He will want to be there encase it is a girl.

"I think you will enjoy motherhood," Mara admits and I nod.

"I think I will too." I worry for my children though because I do not want them to have the future Asara has, promised to a man much older than her.

On the other hand though, Larken will be very good to Asara and there isn't much else I could want for my children than to be loved.

"Mara, it is time to go," Mara's Lord calls from behind us, both Kimmel and him stopped several feet away by Dorian and Killian, neither group of men coming any closer to us.

Mara smiles softly at me, shaking the sand from her skirt as she stands. I stand too, looking down in surprise as Mara laces her fingers through mine as we walk to our men.

Although Mara is not crying anymore, her eyes are still tinted red with the evidence of her past tears.

Mara's lord's lips purse as he takes notice of her red eyes.

"Enough about Asara. She is fine," Mara's lord chastens, pulling Mara to his side.

I release her hand, staying beside Dorian.

"The woman is allowed to be upset. She will get over it," Kimmel chastens his clansmen.

Killian rests his hands on the top of my shoulder, making me look back at him. He just watches Kimmel and Mara, the hand on my shoulders more aimed towards comforting than claiming my attention.

"Thank you for joining us. I am sure our woman enjoyed spending time with yours," Dorian says, drawing nods from both me and Mara. Killian tucks me back against his chest as Mara's lord does as Kimmel and Dorian step forward to shake hands.

Kimmel and Mara's lord nod, taking Mara away as she waves to me one last time.

Dorian and Killian do not move, watching them leave in silence.

Killian rubs his hands down the side of my arms, drawing my attention to him.

"Good girl," Dorian praises, moving to take my hand in his.

I want to help my friend. She is so distressed about Asara going to Larken. I can't bring myself to say anything though because I feel like I would then be betraying Larken.

The situation is a tough one and I wish I knew what to do.