Chapter 13~ Cut From Marble

Cut From Marble

"And if things go south, I want none of you to take accountability for this. It was my idea, my initiative. I'll take the fall for it."
___________________________________________

Zaid, Sienna and Esme sat awkwardly on the white plush couch of Ethan's apartment.

It was almost 9 P.M., and the three of them had quizzically made their ways to Back Bay after receiving sort of a cryptic message from both Blue and Ethan to the latter's residence. Out of the three, Esme was definitely the most confused as she was probably furthest of the lot to be related to Ethan in any sort of way.

Ethan came out of his kitchen with drinks that he had whipped out for his guests. Nothing strong, just some light ones for it was a Thursday night and they had all had early shifts the next day. Blue had yet to arrive as she had to order the last of Francis' tests before making her way over to Ethan's place.

"Thank you all for coming. This is... a fairly important meeting, so let's wait a few more minutes for Blue to arrive." Ethan told them, taking a seat on the couch opposite the three of them. Zaid nodded, eyeing Jenner as the pup jumped onto Sienna who excitedly gave him pets and kisses, being an animal lover. Esme, who was still confused just watched the scene, not really knowing what to do.

Just then, the doorbell rang and Ethan headed over to the front door to let Blue in as expected. Right as Blue entered the threshold of the living room, Jenner pounced onto Blue from Sienna, having missed his third favourite human. Alan had visited his son earlier that week, and had dropped Jenner off and it had been quite a few weeks since Blue had seen the pup.

"Hey!" Blue giggled, greeting Jenner and Zaid and Esme had to control their skeptical gazes as the pup seemed familiar with her. Way too familiar. Nonetheless, they did not question it.

"Okay, since Hunter has made her appearance, can we get to the main point of discussion here?" Zaid spoke up, looking to both Ethan and Blue. "What are we here for?"

"Right." Blue replied, moving to sit next to Ethan on the couch, making sure to keep a respectable distance as the rest of them, except for Sienna, were not aware of their relationship. Jenner moved to plop himself between Ethan and Blue, the former heaving a deep sigh before looking at the three doctors in front of him.

"We've called you here, because we need a team." he told them. "A team where all our sentiments are aligned against a specific entity."

"I'm... not following." Esme replied, confusion still etched on her features.

"The entity being Leland Bloom." Blue explained further. "We've been observing for the past few weeks ever since Edenbrook reopened. It is not a coincidence that several departments have been going through intensive emphasis on research and have been borderline 'forcing' patients to take part in experimental trials and studies recently."

"And from the information that we have currently, Bloom does not seem to be going about it in the most ethical manner." Ethan added, watching as the other three doctors listened to them intently. "The recent Amoxibrate study that he had started has not been F.D.A. approved at all. He's mentioned that it is all completely experimental, and for someone who does not even have a medical background, that leaves room for plenty of question marks."

"And that's not all. Zaid, remember when you told me that Bloom has a new main researcher for his private study the other day when I visited Elijah and you at the lab?" she asked him, to which Zaid nodded, recalling vividly. "Dr. Kloss, the immunologist-researcher was supposed to be a member of the diagnostics team in place of Baz."

"Instead of waiting for the final decision, Bloom went ahead to hire her for a completely different role and brought in Tobias Carrick of all people into the team." Ethan said through gritted teeth, still thinking about the smug smile on his nemesis' face the moment he walked into the team's office with his brand new shining Edenbrook coat to match his grin.