TAPE TWO

3rd pov

   megumi sighs and close his eyes as he made his way over to the box. he's already been through enough today by listening to those tapes, and yet he really doesn't want to listen to them. but he feels himself also want to listen to them, not really knowing why.

he grabs the box and makes his way back over to his bed. guess it's now or never.. he thought to himself before opening the box.

——————

the h/c haired girl wondered what megumi could be doing right now. was he listening to her tapes? or was he not going to listen to them at all? y/n hoped that he would.

she sat in her hospital bed with the lamp on, making it darker but still bright in the room. luckily, nobara brought her some things to do so she wouldn't get bored, which includes her sketch book, pencils, colored pencils, and some more art supplies. y/n was drawing on some of the things that her best friend brought her, happy that she's got something to do.

there was a rolling desk that hung over the bed, which was handy because she could draw on it instead of her sketch book in her lap. her hands were moving quickly as the were drawing on the book, drawing out a face, which was a very familiar one to her. after she sketched the face, she started on the hair. she drew out the spikes coming from the head with her raven colored pencil, making sure every detail was perfect. and after a very long time of getting the drawing just right, she was finally done. it was perfect; he was perfect.

   she held up the drawing and admired it. she wished she could get up and hang it up, but she couldn't; she was kept there in the uncomfortable bed until she died. all the wires and iv's that were stuck in every open part of her arms held her back from getting out of the bed. she was miserable; she was tired of living this way.

——————

megumi slides the tape in his walkman, closing it after doing so. he put his earbuds in and pressed play.

"hey. it's me again. today was kinda rough. lately, my mind hasn't been in the best place, a lot darker than usual. i've had a lot of stress lately and things have been bothering me."

the raven-haired boy looked at the tape recorder in confusion. 'she was hurting and never said anything?' he thought to himself, feeling guilt, something he doesn't feel often.

"but, there was always one thing that would make me feel better.. it's stupid, i know; cheesy if anything. but your smile would always make me giddy like a little girl. yeah, that's weirder when i say it out loud, i'm sorry.

anyway, when i would be feeling down—kinda like i am now— it would always give me a positive feeling. like that one time when we were all out and i told a really stupid joke. remember that?"

megumi tried to remember back to that day she's talking about, but it doesn't really ring a bell. but, y/n always made stupid jokes. so there are many occasions that the girl could be talking about.

"okay, probably not because that's like every day. but that's not the point!"

y/n was laughing; a genuine laugh. megumi felt himself glad, glad that she was laughing now and was happy. yes, he still didn't like he that much, but he didn't want her to be down in the dumps; he wanted her to be happy.

"ANYWAY, the time i'm taking about is when we first met; not exactly the very first time we did, but it was in the same week. so anyway, it was a regular day and you, gojo, yuuji, nobara and i were walking around town. and then we went into a store and their were stairs in there. and when you guys wanted to go upstairs i said that i didn't trust stairs—"

megumi felt his lips start to curve upwards as he finished her statement. "they're always up to something."

"and that they're always up to something! me personally, i thought it was funny, and apparently you did too because i looked back and for a split second i saw a smile on your face. honestly it was one of the most comforting thing to see and i'm not sure why. maybe it's because you're a big meanie head and i've never seen you smile before? i don't know. anyway, that's it for this tape. and only thirteen more to go after this one! okay, that's it. bye!"

   the tape stopped and the boy pulled his headphones down from his ears. he remembered that day she was talking about; very vividly actually. and he wasn't really sure why he smiled at the joke either, but either way it was bad.

   all megumi could think of was why did she admire him so much? so much to love him? he was confused because he hates her, he was always an asshole to her, but yet here he is, listening to the girl confess her feelings about the boy.

   while he was stuck in his thoughts, there was a knock on the door. "come in," he said blankly, not even looking up from the tape labeled '2' in front of him. the door opened and nobara walked in.

   "hey, how are you doing?" she asked.

   he looked up, "okay, i guess. why?" he gave her a look of confusion.

   she sighed, "the tapes. have you listened to them yet?"

   megumi held up the tape he just played in his hand. "yep," he replied blankly to the brunette. nobara sighed again, wishing the boy would hint to something about how he feels about them.

   "which one are you on?" she asked.

   "just finished tape two, onto tape three," he spoke, putting the first tape in the box it came in. he took out the second tape that had '3' on one side and '4' on the other.

   the girl gave him a sad look, "i know you really want to take your time on those, but i wouldn't. i would try to listen to them as fast as possible."

   he looked up and gave the girl before him a confused look, "why?"

   the brunette tried to sound as held together as she could as she spoke, "she's dying, megumi. there's no telling how long she has. you need to see her after you finish those. even if you don't have the same feelings, please. please go see her because i know she wants to see you." nobara then walked out of the room in sadness, leaving megumi surprised. he has to finish these tonight. he needs to see her before it's too late.

———

HEYO! this one is kinda bad but oh well! i hope you enjoyed this chapter, and more to come! also, thank you for 100 reads! i know it's kinda angsty rn but it'll  get better. maybe.. 😏

anyway, i love ya, stay hydrated, and tpwk! <33