TAPE THREE

3rd pov

   after nobara left the room, megumi wasted no time putting in the third tape. quickly, he glanced over at the clock on his night stand; 21:34pm, it read. with a sigh, megumi looked down at the clear plastic cassette tape in his hands, tracing his finger along the small f/c '3' written on it in her handwriting. finally, he slid the tape into the player, pressing the play button as he pulls his headphones over his raven spikes and onto his  ears.

   the first thing he heard was a sigh, a sad sigh, a tired sigh.

"hey megumi. welcome to tape number three. now, i know how i sound. i am sad. yes, you are hearing my depressing sighs correctly."

   there was a small pause in between her words, her voice laced with exhaustion, craving for slumber. megumi could tell, he was observant. he noticed every little detail about the tape; how she sounded, the background noises, everything.  and her voice. oh, her voice was so, so dull. it made him worry.

"don't worry, i'm okay, i promise. but just letting you know... you're an asshole."

   that made megumi's eyes widen. he knew he was an ass, but for those words to come out of her mouth was so... surprising. she never spoke rudely to him—even though he deserved it—and to hear it coming from her, made him feel more guilty. he figured he was responsible for her monotone voice, guilt and hate gnawing at his heart for making her feel that way.

"but y'know who's not?"

   silence.

"your demon dogs."

   megumi sighs.

"y'know, for something that you literally summon yourself, they are very different from you. they've always been so caring and gentle around not only me, but everyone else."

   another pause. another sigh from her.

"now, this tape isn't to slander you, don't worry. i still love you... even though you're an ass. but your demon dogs are another reason i love you so much. they give you character—actually they ARE your character..."

   she mumbles the last part, causing megumi to chuckle a little bit. it was true, he had no personality other than being the asshole next door—well, dorm over.

   as the tape goes on, the girl's starting to find her humor again. megumi could hear the sunshine emerge from the dark, rainy clouds, filling the sky with rainbows and beautiful soaring birds. he could hear the smile lift up her face, bird chirping different melodies and bees buzzing around fluorescent colorful flowers.

"BUT that's not the point. this tape isn't just about your demon dogs, megumi. it's not called '15 reasons why i love your demon dogs,' so it's not all about them."

   megumi could hear her faint laugh. it almost made him want to smile with her, to laugh along with her, to be—his mind swirls with realization. he's supposed to hate her, to not be able to stand her. but if he was supposed to hate her, then why did he feel warm inside when he heard her laugh? maybe it was just annoyance. yeah, that's what megumi was going to go with. whatever could help him sleep at night, i guess.

"it's the fact that you've sent them to my room to comfort me. remember a few months ago when we watched that really scary movie about the killer clown that i was TERRIFIED of? and that everyone though it was HiLaRiOuS how scared i was?"

   how could he forget that day? the four of them—nobara, megumi, yuuji, and y/n—decided to watch a movie in yuuji's room, much despite nobara's protests. she had wanted to do it in her room, which she thought would be much more comfortable than the peachy haired boy's but whatever. they all settled down, nobara and y/n on yuuji's bed, while megumi and yuuji sat on the floor in front of the girls. oh course, megumi sat in front of nobara, trying to be as far away from the annoying girl that lived next to him.

   they didn't say what movie they were watching, so y/n had no idea what she was in for. it was known that she hated scary movies. well, megumi knew that at least, remembering their conversation—well, one-sided conversation because she was talking to him—about different things. he felt mischievous when he picked the movie for the night, making sure to hide the cover from the girl while he slid the dvd in the dvd player. he figured it would give her a good scare, but he didn't intend on making her lose sleep. maybe he wanted her to be scared because he wanted an excuse to comfort her...? no, that would be silly and definitely out of character for megumi.

   but after the movie, y/n was still, her knees up to her chest with her arms tightly hugging them. her eyes were wide, afraid that if she closed them she would see the horrific sight she just watched. of course, the other two—nobara and yuuji—were practically howling at the girl's frozen form, letting out all of the laughs they've kept in from during the movie. megumi stayed quiet, beginning to feel bad about what he had done. he only did it for a laugh, hoping that she would get over it afterwards, but no. she sat there frozen in her spot, too frightened to move a muscle. but he decided to brush it off, showing that he didn't care.

   once the four split up for the night, y/n didn't want to retrieve back to her room. her lonely room with no one else there. she tried to beg nobara to let her sleep in her room, but her brunette friend thought her begs were funny, shooing her off and telling her that it'll be okay. but she didn't feel okay. it was silly, but she was scared.

   megumi went to his room, the girl's fearful face not leaving his mind. as he crawled into his sheets, he couldn't stop thinking about her. he hated her, yes, but he felt bad leaving her alone since she was genuinely scared. so, he summoned on of his demon dogs and sent him off to the girl's room to keep her company for the night.

"and even though you hate me, you sent one of your demon dogs to comfort me. i know you hate to hear this, but that sounds pretty caring to me, megumi."

"and even after that, you always sent one of them to me if i needed the comfort. i love that. i love that about you. maybe i'm just delusional, but i like to think you care about me at least a teeny bit... anyway, that's all for this tape. see ya in tape four."

   and then the sound of the end of the tape erupted in megumi's ears, the simple click that brought him back to reality. lifting his head slightly, he looked over to the same demon dog that he sent to her on that night. megumi gave him a small head scratch, tousling the fur on top of his head a bit. he sighed, moving his head slowly back to the clock on his nightstand; 21:40pm, it read. it's going to be a long night for the raven haired boy... and it was just getting started.

———
TELL A FRIEND TO TELL A FRIEND, SHES BACKKKKK!!!! guys i'm SO SO SO SO sorry for disappearing for a year. i haven't really been motivated to write this, but idk out of nowhere my motivation came back!

and since it's been a year, my writing style has changed a lot so i'm sorry if this chapter is a little different but i hope you enjoyed this longer-ish (not really but oh well) chapter! (also this is not proofread it's late and i'm TIRED LOL)

anyway, love ya, tpwk, and stay hydrated <33