- 15

- CHAPTER FIFTEEN -

- IN WHICH SHE VISITS ADA

. . .

JOHN MADE SURE Rory was dropped back safely at The Garrison, a wary consciousness lying under him as he drove away from the empty pub knowing that the Birmingham Boys would be heading straight for her place of home.

She wasn't at all sure why she had needed to go to the Brothel with the men so early in the morning. Perhaps it was extra protection for Tommy, or maybe because they didn't want her left alone in the pub whilst it was closed. But there was only a little while left until their would be a family meeting, and before then she would need to pay a visit to Ada - it was long due anyway.

Her and Polly had agreed to meet outside of the mother's house at nine-thirty, with every intention of getting her out into the open and hopefully convincing her to join the meeting within the next hour. It was an idea that perhaps even the most optimistic of people wouldn't believe was going to turn out the way it was intended, the Shelby sister still yet to find light in her rather gloomy solitude.

Thus, it was quite incomprehensible that only the gentle brush of pink-tinged skin against old wood was enough to prompt Ada Shelby into prying open the door, bustling the two women in as if they weren't supposed to be there before she could catch sight of her neighbours.

She had left Karl lying safely on a sofa cushion, a whimpering noise immersing the comfortable silence drawn above the heads of the guests. Polly wasted no time in scooping the baby up, his head coming to rest on the top of her arms, cradled happily.

"You're much better with him than I am." Ada's tone was raw, the voice of someone who had too much to say and chose against it. Her arms were folded, the purple fabric on her left shoulder coming into contact with the green doorway of the living room.

"It's quicker with me because he can't smell the milk." Polly wandered slowly around the room, arms bouncing up and down in a tender rhythm. "You're tired. Let's put him down." She placed him in the wicker bassinet as Rory leant her forearms against the top of the sofa, peering over the cushions at the baby.

."Mine were terrors for the tit... both of them." The Gray muttered, the Miller trying hard not to look so surprised at the mention of her kids. Polly glanced up at the two women. "Well you never knew my children."

"I was a child myself then." Ada's fingers hovered above Karl, the baby wrapping his own ones around her index as she looked up at the Aunt. "You never talk about them." She added as an after thought, Rory nodding from opposite them.

"Never had reason to." She wore a melancholy smile, eyes glistening a little under the sunlight. "My heart breaks even when I think about them." Polly moved around the bassinet, "But today, I do have reason to - sit down, Ada." Herself and Rory made themselves comfortable on the green armchairs available, the young mother moving round to sit down beside Karl.

"They were three and five years old." The Gray planted her clasped hands into her lap, dark eyes moving between the two young women. "Sally was three, Michael was five. Well.. two weeks away from being six."

Rory listened intently, back pushed against the cushions of the arm chair, sympathy bleeding through her veins as Polly explained the identity of the woman who was far too involved with the business that was by no means her own.

"They'd been stolen in a robbery," The lady spoke, no longer talking so much about the woman but more about the sheets that had started the crossfire.

"And they said some Porter at the hotel had been coshed. And a woman from around here told the police I had the sheets. Jealous you see, of the new sheets. And when the police came they found a spirit still, for making a few drops of Gin." Her eyes darted around the room, growing every so glassy. "And for that.." She inhaled shakily, cheeks growing rosy. "They took my children from me. And they never told me where they took them. And they did it because they could, because I was weak... but they will never take your baby away from you."

A couple of tears tumbled lazily down her cheeks, racing each other to see who could fall into the crevice of her lips first.

"Do you know why?" She asked, Rory refraining from wrapping her arms around the woman's frame, knowing all too well that she would only begin sobbing. "Because Tommy wouldn't let them. Because Tommy wouldn't let them walk all over us." Her features snapped into a look of frustration, tone beginning to turn into something of firmness. "Now it is Tommy that has brought strength and power to this family. 'Cause he knows. You have to be as bad as them above in order to survive." She stated, tears slowly drying up. "I'm telling you this because I want you to forgive him - both of you."

Rory's eyebrows darted into a straight line, the skin between pinching together as she stared at the woman. "Both of us?"

"How can I?" Ada added, eyes so dead in comparison to the usual spark hidden beneath the depths of them. "When my Freddie's rotting in jail because of him."

"There's something about today that you need to know." Polly stated, a look of empowerment on her features.

Rory already knew where this was going, she realised this was the woman's tactic all along to drive Ada into wanting to appear at the family meeting. It was a clever idea, it had to be said.

She just hoped nothing would backfire as the day grew on and Billy travelled closer to her home.

A.n
Just a short chapter before everything starts kicking off.
Currently writing as many updates as I can to make up for the lack
of appearance since my mocks.