Chapter 5

A single tear ran down the side of the dragon’s muzzle and dropped to the floor of the cavern. The dragon didn’t know why, but this boy was different from the ones back from where it came from.  The image of the the boy turning around and leaving kept popping back up into its mind and it couldn’t figure out why.  The dragon closed its eyes and managed to slow the image down enough to notice something.  Something around the boy’s neck had flashed up and the dragon got a glimpse of an obsidian black necklace with a dragon pendant.  The dragon opened its eyes slowly.  He desperately wanted to find the boy again.  The dragon knew that it couldn’t catch up with him now, even with its wings and speed.  The dragon sighed and laid down on the now smoldering coals of the fire.

        “I will find you, little human; and I hope that you can forgive me for scaring you so badly.” The dragon whispered as it fell into a deep, but sad, sleep.

        Meanwhile, Ren had just reached his little hide-out inside of town.

        I can’t believe that I actually trusted that-that MONSTER!  He thought as he curled up on to the make-shift bed that he had made.

        “I shouldn’t have- ” Ren stopped.  

He just now realized that the pain in his forehead was gone.  Ren rubbed it just to be sure.  There was no blood and no pain.  The dragon really HAD healed his wound and made the pain go away.  All of Ren’s fear towards the dragon quickly dwindled down to extreme guilt and sadness.

        It healed me and all I did to thank it was run away.  Ren thought, It must truly hate me now.

Ren drifted off to sleep with the feeling of guilt still fresh in his mind.

3 days later........

        “Come on Ren, we’re just going to have a little FUN!”

        “Yeah right Kevin!  Your version of ‘fun’ is pounding me to a bloody pulp!” Ren yelled as he backed up.

        “Well it IS fun.  At least for me anyway.” Kevin said with an evil smile on his face.

        Ren didn’t like where this was going at all.  He knew that Kevin had something painful for him stashed up his sleeve.

         “Can’t you just leave me alone just for today please?  I was going to go on a hike in the forest.” Ren said.

He was actually hoping that he could find the dragon that had healed him again and apologize for running away instead of thanking it.  He was just about to head into the forest to search when Rick’s younger brother, Kevin, stopped him.

        “Your older brother and his gang would never leave me alone, and look where it got them. They’re gone.” Ren said as he turned around and started to walk away. 

        “Yeah because of YOU!” Kevin yelled as he picked up a medium-sized rock off of the ground and threw it at the back of Ren’s head.

Ren was barely able to move to avoid the rock that Kevin had thrown.

        It’s a good thing that I looked over my shoulder for a split-second and saw that rock coming.  He thought.

Kevin started to walk towards Ren in a menacing fashion.

        “Kevin, what the HECK is wrong with you?!” Ren yelled, “What did I ever do to you?!”

        “You were BORN, Ren.  I’ve always held a little bit of hatred towards but today I realized just how much I’ve hated you!” Kevin said as he picked up another rock off of the ground and throwing it.

Ren barely avoid that one too. He then realized that if he didn’t get away, Kevin was going to severely hurt him. Maybe even go as far as kill him!

        “Come on Kevin, can’t we just talk about this?” Ren asked.

        “Talk to the rock Ren.” Kevin answered as he threw another one.

This time Ren wasn’t able to completely avoid it and it cut a gash into the side of his head.  Ren pressed his hand against it to try and stop the flow of his blood.  Kevin seemed to be enjoying the sight of Ren being hurt and chuckled darkly.

        “This is fun, isn’t it Ren?” Kevin sneered.

        “No.” Ren said quietly.  

It was all he could say because if he tried to say anymore his head rang out in pain.

        Kevin started walking towards Ren and the second he did, Ren took off for the forest as fast as he could.  

Kevin smiled and chased after him.

        “Oh this is going to be so much FUN Ren!  I’m going to enjoying beating you to a bloody PULP!” He called out.

        Ren just kept running and running through the trees, hoping that he would eventually lose his pursuer in the trees; but, like the time with Rick and his gang, Ren was wrong. Even though Kevin was a full foot taller and at least one hundred pounds heavier, he was quickly closing in on Ren.  After only a few more minutes of running, Ren was completely exhausted. He leaned against an oak to rest.  Bad idea, VERY bad idea.  Kevin quickly had ahold of the collar of Ren’s shirt.

        “NOW we can have FUN!” He said evilly as he reached for a sheath on the left side of his belt.

Ren watched as Kevin slowly pulled out a foot long dagger and held the tip of it to Ren’s stomach.

        “Now, if only my older brother and his friends could be here to see this; I’m sure that they’d be laughing their heads off.” Kevin said sneering, “Any last words?”

Ren answered Kevin cruel question by spitting saliva into his eyes.

        “You rotten, little WRETCH!” Kevin snarled as he buried the dagger up to the hilt in Ren stomach.