childhood friends

Schlatt giggled as he ran through the forest. He tripped a couple of times over rocks and logs, swerving around trees and leaping streams.

The thundering sound of footsteps pounded behind him, getting faster and closer. Schlatt urged his legs to carry him farther, faster.

Suddenly he tripped and fell. Something weighted but light landed on top of him.

Schlatt looked up into the eyes of his best friend. Wilbur Soot. They had been friends ever since Wilbur moved to America from England, Schlatt was six at the time. Wilbur was nine.

But they became friends quick, despite the age difference. Now Schlatt was ten, Wilbur thirteen. And today was just another great summer day full of running around the forest and Wilbur slipping Schlatt energy drinks his parents didn't allow.

The duo laughed and Wilbur rolled over so he was laying next to Schlatt on the soft spongy grass, looking up at the canopy of trees. A few patches of sunlight shone through the leaves.

"You're it now, Johnathan", Wilbur said, poking Schlatt in the side to indicate him being 'it'.

"Yeah yeah, I just need a little break first", Schlatt breathed, closing his eyes and taking a big breath of the refreshing air.

Schlatt sighed. He never wanted this to end. He wished he could live in this moment forever.

------------------[Three years later]------------------

Schlatt walked down the stone road, glancing up at the sight of Wilbur. Wilbur was carrying a suitcase and multiple bags to a car. Schlatt rushed over to his friend.

"Hey Wilbur! Where are you going?", he questioned, peeking at the large amount of luggage Wilbur had.

Wilbur flinched at hearing Schlatt's voice and he set the bags down and turned around to face his best friend.

"Well Johnathan, I um.. my parents want me to study in England instead of America so.. I'm moving back there. And I don't think I'm coming back..", Wilbur dragged out, wincing internally at seeing Schlatt's expression drop.

"B-but Wilbur.. you can't leave!", Schlatt shouted out, not noticing his parents approaching from behind.

"I'm so sorry John- I don't want to, but my parents won't listen to what I want..", Wilbur said.

Schlatt felt tears prick his eyes. Wilbur felt guilty as fuck. He impulsively leaned forward and placed a quick kiss on Schlatt's forehead before picking his bags up again and rushing off to the car.

Schlatt stood there in shock, a single tear rolling down his cheek. His father pulled him back by the arm and started yelling at him for letting another guy kiss him.

But Schlatt didn't hear him. He just watched brokenheartedly as the car rolled down the road and away from Schlatt. Forever. Never again to be seen. Schlatt broke down crying on the road.

Wilbur looked out the back window of the car and his posture saddened even more as he saw Schlatt's father yelling at him for something he had provoked.

He shouldn't have snuck that kiss in. But.. otherwise Wilbur wouldn't have been able to live with himself with those bundled up feelings never released.

Maybe he would see Schlatt again, someday..

-----------------[Many years later]-------------------

Schlatt talked to the young, blond british teenager walking alongside him, occasionally laughing at unfunny jokes.

The streets of London were busy, and the sky was painted a beautiful array of blue shades, the bottoms of the sky slowly fading out into a yellow, indicating the soon arriving sunset.

"Before we head back to my place to stream, I've got someone I'd like you to meet. He'll be coming back with us", Tommy, the teenager, said, happily walking down the road with a slight bounce in his step.

"Oh really now?", Schlatt asked. Tommy nodded.

"He's like my internet brother, the best one I have considering I have no siblings", Tommy explained.

"Oh, nice", Schlatt replied, glancing off to the side of the road, watching the many people of London's streets pass by in a hurry.

Sort of like New York, but less.. harsh?

Even despite the large crowds, at this hour it was very calming, a warm autumn breeze blowing around.

The two soon approached a tall man with curly brown hair and black round glasses perched on the bridge of his nose. His eyes were smoky, and.. familiar?

Schlatt could've sworn he'd seen those eyes before.

"Wilbur, this is my friend Schlatt, Schlatt, this is Wilbur", Tommy introduced.

Schlatt's eyes widened in recognization, heart beating way faster. He saw his expression mirrored in his old friend's face.

"Wilbur-?", Schlatt questioned warily, to make sure.

"J-Johnathan?", Wilbur asked, which just confirmed it. Schlatt rushed forward and gave Wilbur the tightest hug he had ever given anyone before.

Wilbur was in shock, but somehow found himself hugging back, his arms snaked around Schlatt's waist.

"I cant believe it's you..", Schlatt muttered, looking up into Wilbur's bright shiny eyes.

"Well you better believe it baby, because it's me", Wilbur said with a slight smirk as he pulled Schlatt in for a kiss.

Tommy watched this all go down, extremely confused but not questioning it.

Once the two were done with their little moment, Tommy asked, "Anyone care to explain what the fuck I just witnessed?", earning a laugh from them both.

"Let's get back to Tommy's for that stream now.. and I promise I'll explain it all on the way there", Wilbur promised as he grabbed Schlatt's hand and began the way to Tommy's house.

I guess they did meet again after all.

[921 Words]