T H R E E

"I never thought Skyla could be this fun

"I never thought Skyla could be this fun." Jennifer comments. Places her fist on the table when I prepare to take the shot. 

"It's Stephanie." I sigh. 

We were doing shots this time. The little glasses laid out in front of me. 

"Go!" The guy yells. That's all it takes. 

I chug down as much as I could. 

Maybe I didn't win but it felt amazing. 

The girl I competed against holds her hands up high. Eyebrows raised and eyes widened. She hits her palms against a guy holding his up to meet hers. 

"Hey Sage," Martha calls. I don't bother to correct.

"Try these." She tosses a little packet to me. 

"What is it?" I queried. Holding the plastic up to the light to get a brighter view. 

Four white pills in a clear plastic sachet.  

"That doesn't matter." She answers. Shrugging slightly. 

"What's it do?" I slurred. Slumping down on the couch behind me. 

"It makes you feel good." Jennifer responds. Takes a sip from her cup. "You only have to take one." 

"Or two if you really want that shit to work." Martha adds. Smirking as she leans her elbow on the couch headrest. 

Mindy leans forward on the counter, "or you could have them all. I took about six before I got here." 

"Yeah," Jennifer chuckles, "and look where that got you." 

"What?" Mindy argues. "I look fine." 

I nodded. Wrapping my fingers around the cup they gave me. I think it was vodka. Judging by the scent of it. 

I tilted the packet on my palm. Letting all four drop onto my skin. I raise my hand to my mouth. Throw them to the back of my tongue.

I flush it down with the liquid. Resting my head back when I felt them drag down my throat. 

"Impressive," Martha frowns. The breeze that blew in works in her favor when it sways her hair.

"When I was fifteen I couldn't even swallow one pill." Mindy simpered. Gently pats my knee. 

I press my lips together. Stretch them into a tight smile. 

Pills aren't exactly new to me.

Two minutes pass. I had to remove my heels. My legs were shaky and my body felt weak.

I was probably going to pass out anytime soon. My blurry vision gave me that idea. 

Yet I'm back in the kitchen. Consuming another drink. 

I think it was my twentieth for the night. I wasn't keeping count. 

"Fuck," I whisper. Uncontrollable laughter rolling off my tongue.