The Nameless Place

Awake, but not really, or maybe? This place, whatever it was, didn't look familiar. A low-lying fog covered the ground, black was the background to this hellish place. Looking around I couldn't see anything but fog and darkness. There was nothing else, just this maddening emptiness. Trying to focus on what happened or where I was last, just brought nothing to my mind. Standing here is so damned unnerving, where is this place, so instead of standing around I start walking. The landscape never changes no matter how long I walk, nothing is different. Out of ideas and in desperation, I just kept walking, not sure what else to do.

      After walking for who-knows-how-long, a figure emerges from the fog. A tall slender woman who has dark hair flowing down in front of her. The toga that she wore was very flattering to her form. Looking down I realize I too was wearing a toga, shaking my head I look back at the woman. Staring at her I really had no idea what to say, I mean what do you say to a toga wearing stranger in a neverending landscape of nothing. 

      " Hi there" I blurted out.

      " hello" she replied

      " So I have no idea how much you know or how long you've been here, but I have no idea what's going on. I've walked for what seems like days, only to have nothing change." 

      " I just opened my eyes and you emerged from the fog."

      "Awesome, finally run into somebody and they are just as lost as you are." I muttered under my breath.

      " Why are we wearing togas? This some sort of odd frat party or something?"

      She just looked at me and blinked. Still nothing, I was really hoping for an answer to something. Still at square one, well at least there's someone here to share this unending madness with. So that's a plus.

      " Well miss, I'd tell you my name, but I don't remember it. I don't suppose you have any idea what yours is?"

      She just shook her head in response.

      " All right, so there's not really a whole lot to do, but I guess we can do it together. I mean at least the company is nice."

      With a smile she started walking with me, just like before the landscape never changed. Something else suddenly came to mind. No matter how long we walked I was never tired, no aches or pains. At least I have that going for me. How did we get trapped in this nameless hell. So much nothingness, I have no idea how anyone stays sane down here. So we continue on and we come across other people, finally! Out of the darkness is a group of four, three women and a man.

      " Hello there." I said, trying to break up the silence.

      " Hey." Is that half hearted answer I got back

      All four of them are wearing togas and we're looking just as lost as we were.

      " Let me guess, no idea who and why you are here." I asked

      " No idea." One of the women said.

      " Great just when you think this place can't get any better. So now we are just doomed to walk around in a cloud and have no idea what is happening?"

      Just then I saw something or someone moving behind my new friends. He looked like a bent old man with a white head of hair and a long white beard. The way that he moved had that in the question though, he didn't move like he was old and bent. 

      " Hello there, new arrivals I assume." The old man croaked at us.

      " I assume so, I have no idea how I got here or where here even is." I explained.

      " That's fairly common, most of you don't even retain your previous memories, too traumatic for your mortal brain. So there is a place for people who have passed on so to speak. So in short,you're in a holding pattern until judgment. You guys lucked out and got what the Sumerians believed their afterlife was. So now you just have to wait until you get your shot." The old man explained

      " So we wander around here just waiting for our time to be judged?" I asked.

      " Pretty much."

      " Great, can't wait."

      Not only did I just find out I'm dead, now I find out I'm being held in an afterlife holding pattern.