Run

As the sun crested over the horizon, the soft rays warmed the Earth, on a ridge overlooking the valley they sat. Their clothes hung in tatters and the look of desperation hung hard on their faces. "I don't know how many of these I'll see." Caesar matter of factly stated.

      "Don't say that Caesar, we can't give up now." She chastised him.

      "You have no idea how desperate the situation is, we have been judged, it's only a matter of time until it all falls down."

      "That doesn't make it impossible."

      "It doesn't make it possible either."

      As Caesar stood he looked down, "I don't know what else I can say Miranda, but we should move."  

      With that he extended his hand, the sunlight lightning his usually dark features, she believed that the sun always betrayed his true self. With a grunt she took his hand and got to her feet. "Where to now, being exiled sure cuts down on the number of couches we can crash on."  Miranda quizzed Caesar.

      "I think I may know some place we can hide." Cesar said as a sly smile cracked his lips. They bounded into the woods, racing towards a haven even if temporary one.

************************************

      With their noses low to the ground, the dogs sniffed the scents of the earth. These weren't just Bloodhounds, they had been enhanced with the shamanistic ruins and magic. They're primitive minds were shackled to their overseers, bent to their will. These dogs had begun to succumb to the strain of the magic. Fur hung off their lean bodies, as the magic ate a way at their flesh. Two cloaked figures held the massive chains that led to the beasts. The dogs howled as they found the trail and were again on the hunt.

************************************

      Two wolves loped out of the woods into the clearing, with a low moan they shifted back into their human forms. A simple A-frame cabin sat at the edge of the clearing, "Wait here" Caesar said. As he walked up to the cabinet, it was ringed by boulders, he turned over certain ones and softly called back to Miranda, "Okay, come on."

      Miranda reluctantly strode into the circle, a purple sheen shimmered momentarily around her and quickly dissipated. As this Sheen disappeared she craned her neck and shook off the eerie feeling, "That was really weird." she snarled, shaking off the last of the heebie-jeebies. 

      "Well that is our protection for now."

      The cabin looked bigger from the inside, sparsely furnished, but still well stocked with sundries. The two entered the cabin and went right to sleep on the ample bed. They've been on the run for so long they hadn't slept, much less on an actual bed. It was late in the evening when they finally awoke, feeling much better after some actual rest. The two werewolves started to search through the cabin in search of food. Now that they felt safe and rested, they realized just how hungry they were. 

************************************

      The cloaked figures crested the ridge that looked down on the cabin. The larger figure pulled out a stone from his pocket. "Overlord we have the location of the Interlopers, awaiting further orders." The taller figure spoke to the stone. The stone vibrated and emanated a green glow. A raspy voice answered the figure's question.

      "Hold them there, we are sending more to your location. Do not let them escape." The light went out and the stone spoke no more. 

      As dawn approached, four shifters joined them on the ridge, running up in wolf form they shifted into their human form. "They're both in there and haven't left since we've been here."The tall figure spoke to the wolves. The pack headed down towards the cabin eager to get their hands on The Interlopers. The pack quietly gathered in front of the cabin and the stone ring prevented closer examination. The Wolves knew this was a ward, these werewolves had a decent grasp of simple magic. The pack leader was a larger male, bald with a long beard and scars to prove he was a battle-hardened veteran.

      "Go get the casters, we need to get through this." He barked at the smallest and weakest member of the pack. 

      He scampered up the hill, not wanting to anger his pack leader anymore. The remaining members strained their ears as they could faintly hear movement inside the cabin. Someone was in there, more than likely their prey resided inside.

************************************

      Miranda and Cesar had just finished their meal when they both froze and stood still for several minutes. They strained their senses to hear any sound, as the hair on their neck stood up.

      " I think they might have found us." Caesar whispered.  "Grab what you need, we need to run." Cesar softly told Miranda.

      They quickly got their things together and peeked out of the curtains at the pursuers that were amassed in the front yard. How are we going to lose a pack with two mages and their enhanced dogs, Caesar thought to himself. Gathering everything they needed, they were soon ready to run. Peeking out the front, the mages were inspecting the ward protecting the house. It wouldn't be long and they would break the ward. There weren't many options, they could shift to the veil, but that would alert the other shifters and they would follow. They could wait in the cabin until the wards broke and finally the walls were broken down. Finally, they could take their chances and run. Frankly no option sounded great, so Caesar was left with an unwinnable situation. But, Caesar always had a plan.

      *********************************

      The shifters were getting anxious, the time it was taking to break the ward was taking longer than they assumed. Then their extra Keen sense of smell noticed the smoke first.

      "They set fire to the cabin! One of the shifters said. As he started to move towards the cabin. The alpha clapped his hand against his chest. "No, they are in the veil!" The pack leader shouted to the pack.

      The big Alpha had already started to shift into the veil. The rest of the pack soon followed, soon leaving the mages with their Bloodhounds. The dog's ears perked up and a low growl soon escaped their snouts. The mages looked to the rear of the cabin in just enough time to catch a glimpse of Miranda's brunette hair disappearing into the forest. The dogs howled, they knew that the chase had been renewed. With their noses to the ground they began to pull on their restraints, eager to chase their prey.

************************************

      Into the veil Caesar stepped, hoping the shifters would take up the chase. It wasn't long before they stepped through. Caesar pulled out two large chef knives that he had found in the cabin and as they started through Caesar drove the blades into the forming silhouettes of his pursuers. That would keep those two busy for a moment as they would have to figure out why two blades just suddenly appeared in their bodies, Caesar thought to himself. Flashing a toothy grin, Caesar shifted to wolf form and began his journey, he was on the run again. Caesar had a plan though, he always had a plan.