Chapter 6: The kiss

Time seems to standstill. If Jane didn't know any better she would think this was a cruel joke or a dream that she would have to wake up from. Even though she imagined it many times, now just as she's about to do it... to kiss Maura Isles... It feels unknown... Something so foreign yet incredible and like it would certainly change Jane's world completely.

Just as Maura closes her eyes and leans in slightly, Jane's mind snaps back out of its haze. The thoughts flood the detective's head like someone smashed the flood gate with a sledgehammer. It's not like you haven't kissed someone before, so why are you such a mess!? Get it together Rizzoli. FUCK. I'm shaking. Why am I shaking!?

Even though Jane has dated many people, been head over heels infatuated with some of them, and even fallen in love once. She has never felt the way she does at this moment. The confidant, cocky and ever-fearless detective, now coming undone by the thought of a kiss.

Jane takes a deep breath and wills the thoughts swirling in her mind away. Don't think, Jane, just do. You got this, ok. Why does she have to smell so good on top of everything else? Focus Rizzoli.

Jane takes a slightly trembling hand from where it was resting on the back of the bench and places it gently on Maura's cheek. The doctor's eyes opened, she anticipated Jane would do it quickly, to get it over with. Yet this is slow, deliberate and it's making the doctor's heart race even more. She searches Jane's eyes, studying them for information like they are evidence sitting in her lab.

What is she thinking about? God she can be so hard to read. She's gonna be the end of me. The ME thinks, the suspense driving her wild. Then cupping Maura's neck and moving her hand up in the doctor's hair, Jane's thumb grazes the shell of Maura's ear. The honey blond closes her eyes once more, the anticipation now turning into need.

Jane could feel the doctor's breath on her lips, inches apart. She could swear something is doing backflips in her stomach because this does not feel anything like a butterfly flapping its delicate wings. More like a circus monkey doing backflips, Jane thinks as she presses her lips to Maura's.

An uncontainable and barely audible moan escapes the doctor's mouth. Jane responds by deepening the kiss. Maura's hands move to Jane's neck on their own accord, everything around them fading into the background.

Her lips are even softer than the detective realized. There's a tingling feeling running up and down her spine, something she's never experienced during something as simple as a kiss. She can't help but bite ME's lower lip softly before pulling away to look at the doctor.

Feeling Jane's teeth on her lower lip ignited something in Maura and before she could process it she pulled Jane in, crashing their lips together once more. Maura's thoughts are quiet for the first time since she agreed to go undercover. Her only focus now is on the lips against hers. A liberating and rare occurrence for the ever-inquisitive mind of Dr. Maura Isles.

Jane is taken aback by the doctor's action, her mouth now working on its own accord as it curves into a smile against the slow, heated kiss. Reluctantly the doctor pulls away. Looking at the detective now, her cheeks flushed and her lips red and plump.

"Ok so. We have to practice that.. Doing this. Kissing. So we can maintain the cover." Jane says, trying her best to form coherent sentences as she frantically tosses her hands through her hair. "Absolutely!- I mean I agree... You are a skillful kisser, Jane. I must say I quite enjoyed that... even though we just do it for a cover, you can kiss me anytime you want... to practice I mean" the doctor manages to say while catching her breath.

Jane notices the time "Oh shoot, it's 8;58! We have to go". She grabs Maura's hand and starts running to the lecture hall on the other side of the campus. Maura doesn't miss a beat as she follows Jane, running in her heels, gripping her notebook tightly. Her blonde wavy hair flowing in the wind.