iv. slumber party

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r f o u r . . .

After knocking sharply on the door, Violet rocked back and forth on her heels. The air had a biting chill and she wrapped her arms around herself in an attempt to retain some warmth. Inside, she could hear some arguing between Daniel and who she assumed to be his mother. Before she could walk away, the door opened and a woman stood there looking down at her.

She had curly, dark brown hair and contrasting this, wide, ice blue eyes. A pale pink dressing gown hung loosely about her figure and she pulled it around herself to combat the cold. Upon seeing Violet, she smoothed down her hair and gave a bright smile. "Oh, hello, dear. Is everything alright?"

Violet nodded, giving a gentle smile. She was slightly worried as to why her and Daniel had been arguing. "I'm Violet. I was just wondering if Daniel was busy. My friend lives next door and we wanted to know if he could come round."

Realisation seemed to dawn on the mother's features. "So, you're the girl who made the whole world go brunette." This made the teenager blush slightly though she wasn't sure why. "I'm Lucille."

Replying that it was nice to meet her, Violet held out a hand to shake, but Lucille frowned jokingly.

"We don't need to bother with that, my love. Let me give you a hug."

Lucille pulled Violet towards her and brought her into a tender embrace. She smelled of freshly baked gingerbread and warm honey. She was nothing like her own mother's overpriced Chanel perfume and crisp leather. Violet couldn't remember the last time her own mother had condescended to give her a hug. Lucille was the gentle maternal figure she had always longed for.

When she pulled out of the hug, Lucille turned behind her and called for Daniel to come through. Sighs and complaints could be heard coming from his bedroom.

"Ma, I told you I don't want to talk about it any more. I said it was a bike accident and that's the truth. Besides - "

The voice cut off, as Daniel got to the front door and saw Violet standing there. Never in his wildest dreams could he have imagined her to be there. He mentally scolded himself for letting his jaw physically drop at the sight of her. "V-Violet."

"D-D-Danny," she replied, imitating him with a grin.

Watching the two of them, Lucille smiled. "I'll let you two be alone now. You don't want me in the way."

Daniel stepped outside to be with Violet and Lucille shut the door behind them. Reminiscing, she smiled. Ah, young love!

☆☆☆

On the short walk back to Nicole's apartment, Daniel and Violet exchanged a few words. Daniel told Violet she looked beautiful, causing the girl to blush and laugh. She went to reply, but was distracted as she caught sight of an injury on Daniel's forehead.