Chapter 1

If he were to die now, here, would anyone regret him?

Mondstadt would have a new god, a more competent one. The other archons would also be happy, after all, they only see him as a nuisance. And Carmen... Archon, he would finally be able to see Carmen again...

Standing in Sal Vindagnyr, a figure clothed in white could be found in the middle of harsh, unforgiving winds that blowed around him as he drew out a shaky breath, watching impassively as a large dragon fell down the side of the mountain, a cry of agony escaping from him. The dragon's flesh dying, it's body quickly reduced to bones that scattered and broke, forming arcs above those who would find themselves walking this path.

He couldn't find it in himself to care for the dying dragon. His death seemed painful, unnatural. It couldn't be when the flesh was decaying and vanishing, when the dragon's blood was purple, corrupted as he was. Feeling the wind shift around him, a familiar presence behind him, he allowed himself to lower his guards, tense shoulders slumping with barely concealed exhaustion. They stayed a moment in silence, watching the dragon's remains and the trail of blood on grey stones.

"You are hurt, Barbatos."

Casting his gaze to the sky, his eyes locked on the floating castle high above, towering over Teyvat, proudly floating above all and judging those below. He couldn't help the resentment he felt towards it. It seemed to be looking at him, asking him what he would do now. To tell the truth, he didn't know. He felt lost, alone, cold. Tired. Really tired. He wanted nothing more than to sleep his pain away for the next centuries to come.

"So are you," he finally answered, tearing his gaze to look at Dvalin.

"Are you really going to meet the other archons in your state?"

His eyes widening, Barbatos realized with a growing sense of dread what it was that he forgot, this feeling he couldn't quite shake away of having forgotten something really important, "I- Yes, yes I should."

"I would advise you against it, Barbatos."

The Archon stubbornly shook his head, only regretting it mere seconds later as his vision swirled, slumping back onto Dvalin who quickly wrapped him in his large blue wings. He couldn't ditch them, they already think of him as childish enough. The other six archons didn't like Barbatos, and that was okay with him, he didn't need them anyway, he didn't.

"Be reasonable, you can't even stand on your feet!"

"I appreciate your concern, I really do, but you know very well that I can't afford missing a meeting."

He heard Dvalin sign in mecontentement before opening the wings he was shielding the Archon with, carefully helping him back on his feet.

"Then you will need to change. Your clothes are covered in blood."

Dvalin gently helped him walk behind a rock, respectfully turning his back when the Archon started fabricating his clothes from the wind. Not having enough energy, he simply recreated his first outfit, the simple white, long, hooded robe, using his bloodied clothes to bandage the few still bleeding wounds he had.

"You can turn now," he gently whispered in the wind for his friend to hear.

Dvalin turned around, taking a good look at him, silent for a moment, as if debating what to say, or maybe was he just at a loss for words.

"You look horrible," he finally said.

Barbatos smiled weakly, resting his hand on the rock to help him stay standing.

"Where is it?"

"You don't have to." Dvalin just glared at him. "Jueun Karst, Liyue," he ended up saying with a sigh.