Chapter Eight

"Jill??" I said and stared at her in shock. I blinked a few times and shook my head hoping it was just a dream but it wasn't. Jill was here, in the hideout.

"Samantha? What in the world are you doing here?" She asked, looking around for a bit, wondering how the hell I got in. Noah walked over and looked at the two of us.

"Everything alright?" He asked, raising an eyebrow and glancing between me and Jill.

"Yeah, uh, Jill's my boss, at the pharmacy." I replied to him and Noah raised both eyebrows.

"Wow, what a small world." He said with a chuckle. "She's my Aunt.." Noah added, rubbing the back of his neck.

My eyes widened as I looked between the two of them. This wasn't happening. I mean, it was. But what in the world?? Jill had a nephew I never knew about. She never spoke about her family. Which now made sense. Was Jill the leader of the rebellion group? She had to be. She's the only one that looked in charge, sort of. I shook my head a few times rubbing my face with my hands.

"You're related." I said point to the two of them. "And are you the leader of this group?" I said now talking to Jill as I gestured to the large room. "Why didn't you tell me? I mean I could have kept it a secret. You knew what my thoughts were!" I said to her, my voice now getting louder. I knew I was getting looks but I didn't care.

"Sam, calm down. I'm gonna explain everything." She said to me, placing a hand on my shoulder. I let out a small sigh nodding my head. Jill motioned for me to follow her and I did.

My mind was racing with a million questions, but they were going to get answered soon. I followed Jill across the room and we ended up at one of the bunks, I'm guessing it was hers. We were away from everyone, so it was just us. Jill sat down on the bottom bunk and motioned for me to sit. I sat next to her and took my bag off my shoulder.

"I'm guessing you have a lot of questions." Jill said to me as I raised my eyebrows at her. I scoffed slightly, shaking my head. Yeah I did and I had no idea where to start.

"Okay, first question. Why didn't you tell me??" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest as I furrowed my eyebrows at her waiting for a reply. It was quiet for a moment, just the sound of distant voices chatting and laughing in the background. I kept my eyes on Jill, still waiting for her to say something, and hopefully it wasn't a bullshit answer.

"I did it to protect you." She said as she let out a soft sigh. "When you came to me about your dreams, yes I understood but I tried to keep you out of the dark. I wanted you safe, just as your parents did. Now...I don't know."

"I can make my own decisions." I said to her, "Without my parents influencing me. You knew how I felt about everything, I could have helped, I could have done something!" I said now getting upset, my voice was getting louder as I stood up from where I was sitting

"Samantha, calm down." Jill said, standing up, placing her hands on my shoulder. I let out a small sigh as I shook my head, my arms crossed over my chest. The entire room was quiet, probably hearing my little outburst. I had no idea what had gotten over me, but I liked it. I was tired of everything. I felt trapped. Just like these people have felt before joining the rebellion, and I wanted to be a part of it.

"Look, I'm sorry for yelling." I said to Jill. "It's just, you're the one person I fully trusted on this, and to keep it from me, makes me think that you don't trust me."

"It's not that I don't trust you Sam, I do. I had to protect you. Your family. And I can't bear the thought of losing another person."

As she said that, it got quiet between the two of us. She's been in this for a long time, so it made sense that she lost people along the way. I didn't want to admit to her that what she said was right, because she is. But I also didn't want her to kick me out. I can't go home now. I'm probably being looked for as we speak.