Part 2

When she was told about the wedding, they said there would be no banquet or celebration following the ceremony. And although it was a relief not to have to appear publicly as Duchess of Caladan so soon, she couldn't help but think the duke just didn't want to celebrate their union. She took it as a sign of his indifference, or worse, an indication of his natural aversion towards her. After all, she wouldn't have been his first choice for a wife – if he had been given a choice at all. There was nothing for him to celebrate.

The official reason given to anyone who needed one was the short amount of time they had to plan the wedding. Three days. Just enough time for her to pack her necessities and travel to Caladan. She had arrived hours before the wedding. She had been given no choice in the matter. She didn't choose the guests, didn't choose her wedding dress, didn't choose her husband. She was tired, exhausted both mentally and physically. She had barely slept since the announcement of her wedding, her anxiety slowly eating her sanity away.

She didn't know where her husband was taking her. She hadn't been told what would happen after the ceremony. She didn't know what to expect. She was on an unknown planet, in an unknown castle, surrounded by strangers whom she knew either pitied her or judged her. A twenty-year old girl without a title being married off to a duke to satisfy her father's ambition. Even worse than that, she was a freak from a planet of freaks who couldn't be trusted. The entire galaxy both respected and feared the Valens. Their gifts made them invulnerable, and the Empire could only consider themselves lucky that Valentia wanted to be part of it and not destroy it. That was why Leto had sought them out. They were the only ones who could make sure no harm could come to them and he knew exactly how to get their support. Abel Valen had always wanted to be a part of the great Houses of the Empire. He had the money, and he had the power, but he didn't have the prestige, he didn't have the history. Now, he had just married into it.

Leto guided Sierra in the hallways of Castle Caladan. Somehow, the air felt heavier now that it was only the two of them. The room he took her to wasn't far from the chapel. It was large, empty and cold, like all the other rooms she had seen so far. It was very different from her own home. Caladan was a cold planet and all she had seen up to this point was the grey sky and the grey bricks of her new House.

He let go of her hand as they approached the door and gestured for her to enter. She shivered as she stepped inside – her sleeveless white dress was not made to keep her warm. It was made to make her pretty, presentable, a perfectly wrapped gift for him to pick up at the altar.

She turned her back to him. She didn't mean to be disrespectful, but she didn't have the courage to look at him. To see him. Instead, she looked around the room as she rubbed her arms to warm herself up a bit. It was some sort of living room, with sofas and armchairs around a coffee table near the fireplace on her right, and a big stone table on her left. Pastries of all colors adorned the large table with all sorts of beverages from coffee to tea. She could smell the hot chocolate from where she stood. Chocolate was a rare treat on Valentia. It couldn't be found on her own planet and was a luxury her father accorded her on her birthday. That was his only present to her. The only thoughtful thing he had ever done for her.

She brought her arms around herself as she heard the duke move behind her. She expected him to say something, anything, from an invitation for a cup of tea to a meaningless platitude. But he didn't break the silence. He moved the veil over her left shoulder, and she instinctively brought a hand to the lace. She froze when she felt warm fabric on her shoulders. He wrapped his jacket around her, making sure her bare arms were covered. He walked around her, coming to a stop before her, and buttoned the large jacket so it wouldn't fall off her back. She gave him a quick shy look before averting her eyes when he met her gaze.