Chapter Ten

Waking up all alone was probably the saddest thing to do. I haven't felt this alone in a long time. Not since my father abandoned me and my mother. Yet it wasn't as sad as it felt that Octavius was gone. His body heat kept me warm throughout the night. I felt so at peace, so warm with company.

I wiped the tears falling down my face. Why was I so sad? He was a villain. Why am I crying so much?

In the empty space of the bed, his black turtleneck laid there. I quickly grabbed it, covering my crying face in it. Smelling it brought more tears than expected. It smelled exactly like him. The cigars he smoked and his cologne he wore last night.

I laid down with the sweater, facing the other way, and spotted a letter with my name on it. I hesitated before picking it up to read.

"My dear, you were marvelous on the ice. A star in my eyes. It was the most brilliant and fascinating thing I've seen you do. Congratulations on making it to finals!"

The tears kept streaming down my cheeks while I read more.

"The thing is, I can't keep seeing you. You have such a bright future ahead of you, and I would hate to ruin it for you. Don't take it personally. I appreciated everything you have done for me, with your unexpected surgical skills and your glamorous food. I don't need you getting hurt at my hand. So, I must say goodbye. I really do hope everything in your life is nothing but love and positivity. You deserve it. Otto Octavius."

I sniffled out a sob. He couldn't say goodbye to me in person. He was just here! I woke up in the middle of the night and saw him still here...

I curled into a ball, sweater in hand, and cried myself back to sleep. Trying to only think about the good things Octavius had done for me.

A week goes by and I achieved a silver medal at finals. I hugged the other two winners, my green sleeves sparkling under the spotlights. All three of us were crying over the fact we placed in the top three. It was a memorable moment.
I sat on the bench in the locker room, changing into leggings and Octavius's turtleneck. It was rather large, but it was so comfortable and warm while still smelling like him. I refused to wash it until necessary.

My sneakers were quiet against the pavement. The walk home was peaceful. I hugged myself all the way, trying to stay warm in this stupid cold. My mother called me as soon as I was home.

"Oh my little love I am so fucking proud of you!" My mother squealed, as I heard my grandfather shush her in the background.

I giggled as I laid my duffle bag next to my suitcase. "Thank you mom."

"Are you packed for the week?"

I hummed as I zipped up my suitcase. "Yes mother. I even bought some new bikinis to wear. But is there anything else I need to pack?"

I could hear my mother pour a glass of wine. "Nope. Now you better get some sleep. I'll see you in a couple of days. I love you so much!"

"I love you to mom. Bye."

Work the next day was slow, only regulars asking for their regular drinks. I felt cold in my jeans and long sleeve, but I couldn't wear a huge sweater to work. It wouldn't be the most work appropriate.

"(Y/N), can I speak to you?" Manny called out before walking up next to me.

I nodded, looking up towards him. I think he could tell I wasn't getting enough sleep. I haven't been. Between my work and school and then Octavius leaving, I haven't slept more than three hours a night maybe. My eye bags were probably noticeable and were probably disgusting.

Manny sighed as he gave me a side hug. "First off, I am so proud of you from your finals."

I laughed lightly as I patted his back. "Thank you Manny."
He nodded as he moved his arm on top of the bar, leaning slightly. "And I think you should take a long break from the bar. To focus on schooling. Why don't you stay with your mother for a little longer?"

I tilted my head in confusion, "Manny I am quite alright working and doing school. I don't-"

"I think you should. Just a couple weeks? Get some sun, and byt the time you come back it'll start warming up here in the city. I just worry for you (Y/N)."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Alright, some sun wouldn't hurt."

Manny chuckled as he patted my back, "That's the spirit. Go home early, I'll see you in March."

The flight to Florida wasn't awful. My grandfather always bought the best seats, and made sure no one else sat next to me in hopes to "protect" me. That just meant more room to relax in.

My mother picked me up from the airport, driving us to grandfather's house. Which I haven't seen since I was a kid.

"God, you need more sleep."

I slightly looked over to my mother, who kept her eyes on the road.

"I'm sleeping just fine mom." I spoke through a yawn. My body exposes me when I'm in the wrong... Traitor...

My mother half laughed as we pulled into the driveway. "Well why don't you go take a nap my little love. It's still very early in the morning."

I nodded so I wouldn't have to argue. "Is grandpa home?"

Mother shook her head, "He is on a cruise this week, but he'll be back next week."

I nodded again as my mother helped me bring my suitcase and bag up to my old visiting room. It was an off white color with plants now sitting next to the window. A titanic movie poster, along with other older movie posters, were hung around the room. All of my old books laid in the shelves, Harry Potter and other series laid all organized. My bed was king size, black sheets and blankets made perfectly on it. The closet was empty, except for some old memory boxes. The bathroom was clean with the same color walls, and the tub and shower were big enough to fit four people.

I smiled, revisiting old memories of mother and I seeing grandfather in the summer. When he would show off his movie props and his yacht at his club.

I shut the door, the wind blowing a cool breeze as I slipped my shoes off and curled into bed. I hugged the pillow next to me, sinking my head into its side and falling fast asleep.